How Do You Calculate Speed Without Time in a Bungee Jump Scenario?

• Thread starter johnjohnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary, the man who weighs 1000Newtons(N) will reach his fastest speed before the bungee rope starts stretching. The maximum kinetic energy he will have is before the rope starts stretching. The bungee rope will extend until energy is transformed to elastic potential energy.
johnjohnson
If a man who weighs 1000Newtons(N) makes a bungee jump off a bridge with a 6m bungee rope, this rope has a elastic constant of 2000N/m

A) what is the fastest speed he reaches
B)what is his maximuum kinectic energy
C)how far will bungee rope extend until energy is transformed to elastic potential energy

2. Homework Equations
F=ma, F=kx E=1/2*k*x^2 these are all i know

3. G= 9.81m^2 Gravity*weight/2000 sorry IDK guys please help GCSE Science

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with potential and kinetic energy?

mishek said:
Are you familiar with potential and kinetic energy?

yes i m thanks for replying

Could you divide this jump in phases? What energy do you have at the bridge, what energy do you have before the "rope" starts stretching?

Check your question values. That bungee rope looks rather stiff. You might have picked up an extra zero.

Thanks for trying to help me guys appreciate i ve got the answer now
first 1/2*m*v^2 = mgh
then pug in the values

Hello, John.

Your equation above would work for a situation before rope starts stretching.

You have a 3 key situations: before jump (potential energy is max), before stretching of the rope (kinetic energy is max) and after stretching ("spring" energy).

Please look into photos I attached.

Attachments

• BeforeStretching.JPG
    BeforeStretching.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 499
  • AfterStretching.JPG
    AfterStretching.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 468

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Speed Without Time in a Bungee Jump Scenario?

1. How do you calculate speed without knowing the time?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. However, if the time is unknown, speed can still be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / rate. This means that if you know the distance traveled and the rate at which the object is moving, you can determine the speed without knowing the time.

2. Can speed be calculated without knowing the time and distance?

No, speed cannot be calculated without knowing at least one of the variables - time or distance. The formula for speed requires both distance and time to be known.

3. Can you give an example of calculating speed without time?

For example, if a car travels a distance of 100 km at a constant rate of 50 km/h, the speed can be calculated as follows: speed = distance / rate = 100 km / 50 km/h = 2 hours. Therefore, the speed of the car is 50 km/h, even though the time is not explicitly given.

4. Is it possible to determine the time from the speed and distance?

Yes, with the formula for speed (speed = distance / time), it is possible to rearrange the equation to solve for time. This would be useful, for example, if you know the speed and distance of a race car and want to calculate the time it takes to complete a lap.

5. What other factors can affect the calculation of speed without time?

Other factors that can affect the calculation of speed without time include changes in speed or direction, as these would require more complex formulas that take into account acceleration and displacement. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also impact the speed of an object, making it more difficult to accurately calculate without knowing the time.