How Do You Calculate Steam Pressure in a Piston Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pressure of steam in a steam engine cylinder, given a constant pressure and the amount of work done on a piston. The summary also includes the equations and attempts at solving the problem, as well as the final correct answer of 35.9 N for the force and the need to convert cm to m for the radius in order to find the correct pressure in Pa.
silntassassin

Homework Statement

Steam moves into the cylinder of a steam engine at a constant pressure and does 0.79
J of work on a piston. The diameter of the piston is 1.7 cm, and the piston travels 2.2 cm
in one stroke. What is the pressure of the steam? Answer in units of Pa.

Homework Equations

w=f*r
a=pi*r^2
P=f/a
100 cm= 1m

The Attempt at a Solution

2.2cm=.022m
1.7cm=.017m

w=f*r
.79=.022*x
x=35.9090909091

now find area: a=pi*r^2

1.7=d
.85=r
pi*.85^2=2.269800692=a

p=f/a
p=35.9090909091/2.269800692
p=15.82

now this seems to be wrong but I do not understand what I am doing wrong. please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expressing the radius in m rather than cm.

ohh right i forgot to do that the second time i did the problem because i initally divided .022/.79 when it should have been the other way giving me the wrong answer to plug into get the pressure. But after I tried the radius in m I get a number like 39550.929555 and idk if that's right?

Uh, not quite. The first answer, 15.82 Pa, was correct except for not converting cm into m.

The correct answer will have the same digits 1582, but the decimal point will be in a different place.

158.2?

No.

35.9 N is the correct force.

What is the area in m^2, given r=0.85cm?

Related to How Do You Calculate Steam Pressure in a Piston Cylinder?

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to entropy?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, so this law essentially means that systems tend towards a state of maximum disorder.

3. What is the difference between an isolated, closed, and open system?

An isolated system does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings, a closed system exchanges energy but not matter, and an open system exchanges both matter and energy with its surroundings. The laws of thermodynamics apply differently to each type of system.

4. Can the second law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and has been proven through various experiments. It is a universal principle that applies to all systems, and cannot be violated.

5. How is the third law of thermodynamics related to absolute zero?

The third law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero. Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which all molecular motion ceases. This law helps to define the concept of absolute zero and its role in thermodynamics.