How Do You Calculate Stoichiometric Coefficients in Natural Gas Combustion?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the stoichiometric coefficient in a combustion reaction that involves various types of natural gas and conservation of mass. The speaker is trying to solve for 7 equations, but currently only has 5. They also mention the use of moral analysis in the process.
physicophile
I had a question on how to find the stoichimoteric coefficient in combustion reaction contains several types of natural gas.

Lets say for example: u start with a natural gas (using moral analysis) 0.865CO2 + a0.08C3H8 + b0.02C3H8 c0.035N2 + d(O2 + 3.76) ------> eCO2 + fH20 + gN2;

Using conseration of mass i get 4 equations + assume that i am start with one mole (0.865 + 0.08a + b0.02 + c0.035 = 1

that give me 5 equations but i need 7 equations to solve. We are told nothing about the end product, expect that it goes to completion with expess air.

Could some please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind dumb question...the rhs are constants!

What is moral analysis of the gas?

Related to How Do You Calculate Stoichiometric Coefficients in Natural Gas Combustion?

1. What is combustion of natural gases?

Combustion of natural gases is a chemical reaction between natural gases (primarily methane) and oxygen, resulting in the release of heat, light, and carbon dioxide. This process is commonly used to generate heat or electricity in homes and industries.

2. How is combustion of natural gases different from other forms of combustion?

Unlike combustion of other fuels, such as coal or gasoline, combustion of natural gases produces relatively fewer emissions and pollutants. This is because natural gases contain a higher percentage of methane, which burns more cleanly than other hydrocarbons.

3. What are the main components involved in combustion of natural gases?

The main components involved in combustion of natural gases are the fuel (methane), oxygen, and a source of ignition (such as a spark or flame). These components are necessary to initiate and sustain the chemical reaction that produces heat and energy.

4. How is the efficiency of natural gas combustion measured?

The efficiency of natural gas combustion is measured by the amount of heat produced compared to the amount of fuel consumed. This is known as the heat rate or thermal efficiency, and it is typically expressed as a percentage. The higher the thermal efficiency, the more energy is being converted from the fuel into usable heat or electricity.

5. What are the potential risks associated with combustion of natural gases?

The main potential risks associated with combustion of natural gases include the release of carbon monoxide and other pollutants, as well as the potential for explosions or fires if the combustion process is not properly controlled. It is important to follow safety precautions and have proper ventilation when using natural gas for combustion.