How Do You Calculate Stopping Distance Using a Velocity-Time Graph?

In summary, The question asks for a sketch graph of a car traveling at 15 ms-1 and then stopping after a pedestrian steps out into the road. The driver takes 0.7 seconds to apply the brakes, which produce an acceleration of -6ms-2. The graph should show speed against time, with the car maintaining a constant speed and then decelerating in a straight line. The stopping distance can be calculated by finding the area under the line on the graph.
getfirefox
Hello everybody, I have a small question I need help with.

Homework Statement

Draw a sketch graph of the following:

"A car which is traveling at 15 ms-1. At t (time) = 0, the driver sees a pedestrian step out into the road. The driver takes 0.7 seconds to apply the brakes, and the brakes produce an acceleration of -6ms-2, bringing the car to a rest."

Use the stetch graph to calculate the stopping distance.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

None. Can somebody give me an example of what the graph would look like and how I would calculate the stopping distance. I take it this would be the displacement, or area under the line on the graph.

Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
getfirefox said:
Draw a sketch graph of the following:

"A car which is traveling at 15 ms-1. At t (time) = 0, the driver sees a pedestrian step out into the road. The driver takes 0.7 seconds to apply the brakes, and the brakes produce an acceleration of -6ms-2, bringing the car to a rest."

Use the stetch graph to calculate the stopping distance.

Can somebody give me an example of what the graph would look like and how I would calculate the stopping distance. I take it this would be the displacement, or area under the line on the graph.

Hello getfirefox! :smile:

You should plot speed against time.

Constant speed is a horizontal line.

Constant deceleration is a straight line sloping down.

And yes, the stopping distance will be the area under the line. :smile:

Hello,

To help you better understand the concept behind velocity-time graphs, I will first explain the basic principles and then provide an example for your specific problem.

A velocity-time graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and time. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a higher acceleration. The area under the line represents the object's displacement.

Now, for your problem, the initial velocity of the car is 15 ms-1 and it takes 0.7 seconds for the car to come to a rest. This means that the car's final velocity is 0 ms-1. The brakes produce an acceleration of -6ms-2, which means the car is decelerating.

To draw the graph, you can start by plotting the initial velocity of 15 ms-1 at time t=0. Then, you can draw a straight line with a negative slope of -6ms-2, representing the car's deceleration. The line should intersect the x-axis at t=0.7 seconds, indicating that the car has come to a rest at that point.

To calculate the stopping distance, you can use the equation d=vt+1/2at^2, where d is the displacement, v is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, since the final velocity is 0, the equation simplifies to d=1/2at^2. Plugging in the values, we get d=1/2(-6)(0.7)^2= 1.47 meters. This is the stopping distance of the car.

I hope this helps you understand velocity-time graphs better. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

Related to How Do You Calculate Stopping Distance Using a Velocity-Time Graph?

1. What is a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over a period of time. It plots the velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, with the slope of the line indicating the acceleration of the object.

2. How do you read a velocity-time graph?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the acceleration of the object. A horizontal line means the object is moving at a constant velocity, while a positive slope indicates a positive acceleration and a negative slope indicates a negative acceleration. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. The area under the graph represents the distance traveled by the object.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. This means that an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity if it changes direction.

4. What is the equation for calculating velocity on a velocity-time graph?

The equation for calculating velocity on a velocity-time graph is v = ∆d/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆d is the change in distance, and ∆t is the change in time. This can also be written as the slope of the line on the graph.

5. How can you use a velocity-time graph to determine the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be determined by finding the slope of the velocity-time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. A horizontal line means the object is moving at a constant velocity and has no acceleration.