How Do You Calculate Stress at Different Points in a Loaded Beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress caused by a point load at A on a prismatic member with a square cross-section. There is a disagreement on whether the stress at A will be the same as the stress at D due to the distance between the two points and Saint Venants principle. The participants also discuss finding the stress at D and determining the location of the centroid without calculation. The conversation ends with a clarification that axial loads are assumed to produce the same stress over the entire cross-section.
Junkwisch

Homework Statement

"see attachment"Normally I would assume that the stress caused by the point load at A is equal to σ=P/Area. however since there is a distance between the two points and because of Saint Venants principle, I don't think that the stress at A will be the same with the stress at D. In order to find the stress at D, do I have to find the centroid or the moment? (using this equation σ=((-My)/I) ) or angle of twist??

Attachments

• calculate resultant stress.png
    calculate resultant stress.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,239
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the attachment is not totally clear on the position of A, but let's assume that the force at A is applied at the center of the cross-section.

Why would you assume that a centrally loaded member has developed a bending moment?

What is it about this problem which makes you think St. Venant's principle applies?

You've got a prismatic member with a square cross-section. Can't you identify the location of the centroid without calculation?

I don't think that there will be any moment in the center load. (Can I assume that the stress will be exactly the same for the entire rectangle?)

For the St. Venants principle, I think it is there because point D is on the side of the rectangle, i doubt that it will experience the same stress as that of the centre of the rectangle.

The centroid should be in the centre of the rectangle.

Junkwisch said:
I don't think that there will be any moment in the center load. (Can I assume that the stress will be exactly the same for the entire rectangle?)

For the St. Venants principle, I think it is there because point D is on the side of the rectangle, i doubt that it will experience the same stress as that of the centre of the rectangle.

The centroid should be in the centre of the rectangle.

Well, axial loads are assumed to produce the same stress over the entire cross-section. After all, that's what σ = P/A means.

Likes 1 person

I would first commend you on thinking critically about the problem and considering the principles of Saint Venants. You are correct in thinking that the stress at point A will not be the same as the stress at point D due to the distance between them and the principle of Saint Venants.

To calculate the stress at point D, you will need to consider the centroid and moment of the load. The equation you mentioned, σ=((-My)/I), is known as the flexural stress equation and can be used to calculate the stress at a point due to a bending moment. However, in this case, you will also need to consider the axial stress caused by the point load at A.

To accurately calculate the stress at D, you will need to use a combination of equations, such as the flexural stress equation and the axial stress equation (σ=P/A). You may also need to consider the angle of twist, depending on the specific problem. It is important to carefully consider all the factors at play and use the appropriate equations to accurately calculate the resultant stress at point D.

I would also recommend consulting with a structural engineer or referring to a textbook for more guidance on how to approach this problem. As a scientist, it is important to always use accurate and reliable methods to solve problems and make conclusions.

Related to How Do You Calculate Stress at Different Points in a Loaded Beam?

1. What is resultant stress?

Resultant stress is the overall stress experienced by a material or structure due to the combined effects of multiple individual stresses acting on it.

2. How do you calculate resultant stress?

To calculate resultant stress, you must first determine the individual stresses acting on the material or structure, then use vector addition to find the resultant stress. This involves adding the magnitudes and directions of each stress to find the resultant magnitude and direction.

3. What factors can affect the resultant stress?

The factors that can affect resultant stress include the type of material, the magnitude and direction of individual stresses, and the geometry and orientation of the structure.

4. What are the units of resultant stress?

Resultant stress is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

5. Why is calculating resultant stress important?

Calculating resultant stress is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how a material or structure will behave under different loading conditions. This information is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures and materials.