How Do You Calculate Stress on a Point in 3D Mechanics of Materials?

• Thread starter Bluestribute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, to solve problems involving finding the state of stress on a point in 3D, you will need to use the equations for normal stress, shear stress, and torsion stress. The normal stress corresponds to the force acting normal to the plane, the shear stress corresponds to the force acting parallel to the plane, and the torsion stress corresponds to the torque acting on the body.
Bluestribute
So I'm studying for an upcoming Mechanics of Materials exam. Gotta ace it! Anyways, I'm having trouble with these types of problems. Finding state of stress on a point in 3D. This picture comes from: http://www.academia.edu/6204133/Chapter_09

Which has worn shown, but not explanations. I have two questions to start, but hopefully more will surface and get answered . . .

1) I always have trouble finding Q and I don't know why. Does anyone have a solid equation or "explanation for dummies"? It's just the centroid-to-center-of-area distance, right?

2) Which equation to use and what it corresponds to. I think what would really help is just, what does each equation mean in terms of stress. For example, I know Normal Stress is σ = F/A, and I know it acts parallel to the plane it's on (so σx points in the X direction).

I think using this problem as an example could work. Also, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
1) To calculate the centroid-to-center-of-area distance, you will need to use the equation: Q = √A/2π. Where A is the area of the plane. 2) The equations you need to use for this problem are as follows: Normal Stress: σ = F/A Shear Stress: τ = F/A Torsion Stress: τ = T/J The normal stress corresponds to the force acting in the direction normal to the plane. This means that if a force is applied in the x-direction, then the normal stress in the x-direction would be σx = F/A. The shear stress corresponds to the force acting in the direction parallel to the plane. This means that if a force is applied in the y-direction, then the shear stress in the y-direction would be τy = F/A. The torsion stress corresponds to the torque, or twisting force, acting on a body. This means that if a torque is applied in the z-direction, then the torsion stress in the z-direction would be τz = T/J. Where J is the polar moment of inertia.

Related to How Do You Calculate Stress on a Point in 3D Mechanics of Materials?

What is the concept of finding stresses at a point?

Finding stresses at a point is a fundamental concept in the field of mechanics and materials science. It involves analyzing the internal forces and deformations of a material at a specific point in a structure or system.

Why is it important to find stresses at a point?

Understanding the stresses at a point is crucial in designing and analyzing structures and materials. It helps engineers and scientists ensure the safety, durability, and performance of various systems, from bridges and buildings to airplanes and medical devices.

How are stresses at a point calculated?

The stresses at a point are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the applied forces, geometry, and material properties of a system. These calculations may involve complex equations and numerical methods, depending on the complexity of the system.

What factors can affect the stresses at a point?

The stresses at a point can be influenced by various factors, such as the type and magnitude of applied forces, the geometry and shape of a structure, and the material properties of the system. Temperature changes, environmental conditions, and loading conditions can also affect stress levels.

How can the stresses at a point be visualized and analyzed?

There are various tools and techniques for visualizing and analyzing the stresses at a point, including computer-aided simulation software, physical models, and experimental testing. These methods allow scientists and engineers to gain a better understanding of stress distribution and make informed decisions in the design and analysis process.

Back