How Do You Calculate Sun's Gravitational Acceleration at an Asteroid's Orbit?

In summary: The acceleration due to gravity on an object orbiting a center (in this case, the sun) is a result of the centripetal force and the mass of the orbiting object.
pumpernickel
Hi. I am a little stuck and I would appreciate some help.

What is the acceleration due to gravity of the sun at the distance of 1.6 X 10^11 m? The asteroid revolves around the sun in 398 Earth days.

2. Homework Equations :

F= (m*V^2)/r3. The Attempt at a Solution :

First I found the circumference: 1.00 * 10 ^12 m
Converted 398 to seconds --> 85968000 sec

So I used that to come up with a velocity --> 1.00 * 10 ^12 m/85968000 sec = 11694 m/s

And did F= (V^2)/r and came up with .000855

I know I am doing this wrong but I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why you think you are doing this wrong except maybe you assumed that the asteroid is moving in uniform circular motion which it probably is not in reality. Even though it might be a good approximation the exact answer is Newton's law of gravitation where you will need to look up the mass of the sun M and the gravitational constant G.

Try that and see how close the answer is.

Last edited:
pumpernickel said:
And did F= (V^2)/r and came up with .000855

Aren't you omitting m in that equation?

I would agree with paisiello in that you would need to know the mass of the sun, and apply that to Newtons law.

g = GM/r^2

I get a different number of seconds for the period of revolution (somehow you got your period in seconds a factor 2.5 too high). If you correct that and write "a" instead of "F" in your last expression (since F/m = a), then you should be good.

(You don't need to use Newtons law of gravitation).

Doesn't that assume the asteroid is moving uniformly in a perfect circle? That assumption needs to be stated somewhere.

Otherwise you'll need to use Newton's law.

paisiello2 said:
Doesn't that assume the asteroid is moving uniformly in a perfect circle? That assumption needs to be stated somewhere.

The topic of this thread says "Circular motion" and the poster used an equation for centripetal force in a uniform circular motion, so I guess we can safely assume that this is an exercise on the topic of circular motion. Granted, it is always a good habit and it never hurts to state your assumption in case they are not obvious to the reader (or, in this case, the teacher checking your work).

Related to How Do You Calculate Sun's Gravitational Acceleration at an Asteroid's Orbit?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant.

2. How is circular motion related to gravity?

Circular motion is related to gravity because the centripetal force that keeps an object moving along a circular path is provided by gravity. This is known as gravitational force.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving along a circular path, pointing towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path.

4. How does the speed of an object affect circular motion?

The speed of an object affects circular motion in that the faster the speed, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving along the circular path. This means that increasing the speed of an object will result in a wider circular path, while decreasing the speed will result in a tighter circular path.

5. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion is different from linear motion in that it involves a change in direction, while linear motion is motion along a straight line. Additionally, circular motion requires the presence of a centripetal force, while linear motion does not.