How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Constrained Pulley System?

In summary: You should also have a free body diagram for each of the masses A, B, and C. One of those should give you a third equation. With three equations, you should be able to find the three unknowns, which are the two tensions and the three accelerations.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving four masses, two of which are pulleys, and the goal is to find the tension in the string and the acceleration of the masses. The relevant equations are T-mg=ma and the person has attempted to solve the problem but is stuck. They need help understanding where they went wrong and any hints on how to proceed.
AbhinavJ

Homework Statement

A,B,C are of mass one kg each, while D,E are massless pulleys.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0FIIKckKOcKN2JxcS1DYldaX0U/edit?usp=docslist_api
We need to find Tension in string, acceleration of A,B,C

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting tension and got T=2T, which gives T=0, which is not the answer. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
AbhinavJ said:

Homework Statement

A,B,C are of mass one kg each, while D,E are massless pulleys.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0FIIKckKOcKN2JxcS1DYldaX0U/edit?usp=docslist_api
We need to find Tension in string, acceleration of A,B,C

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting tension and got T=2T, which gives T=0, which is not the answer. Thanks in advance
Sounds to me as though you assumed no acceleration.
Can't tell where you are wrong if you don't post your working.

haruspex said:
Sounds to me as though you assumed no acceleration.
Can't tell where you are wrong if you don't post your working.
I actually couldn't get anything, any hint on which I can work on?

AbhinavJ said:
I actually couldn't get anything, any hint on which I can work on?
You wrote that you did some work and got T=2T. Please post that work. You must show some attempt, even if it is just some thoughts.
Have you drawn a free body diagram for each pulley? Each of those should give you an equation, though some may be uninteresting because they involve unknown forces from outside the system.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Constrained Pulley System?

1. How does a constrained pulley system work?

A constrained pulley system is a mechanical device that uses one or more pulleys to redirect the direction of a force. It works by looping a rope or cable around the pulley, which changes the direction of the force applied to the object being moved.

2. What are the main components of a constrained pulley system?

The main components of a constrained pulley system include the pulleys themselves, the rope or cable, and any additional support structures such as a frame or bracket. The type and number of pulleys used can vary depending on the specific system and its purpose.

3. What are the advantages of using a constrained pulley system?

One of the main advantages of a constrained pulley system is that it can reduce the amount of force needed to move an object. It can also change the direction of the force, making it easier to lift or lower objects. Additionally, constrained pulley systems can be used to create a mechanical advantage, making it possible to lift heavier loads with less effort.

4. Are there any limitations to using a constrained pulley system?

One limitation of a constrained pulley system is that it can only change the direction of a force, not the amount of force itself. This means that the load being lifted will still require the same amount of force to be moved, even if it is in a different direction. Additionally, constrained pulley systems can be complex and require proper setup and maintenance to function effectively.

5. How is a constrained pulley system used in real-world applications?

Constrained pulley systems have a wide range of applications in various industries, such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They are commonly used in cranes, elevators, and other lifting equipment to make it easier to move heavy objects. They can also be used in more complex systems, such as in robotics and mechanical engineering, to control the movement of various parts and components.