How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Truck and Trailer System?

In summary: Remember, the truck and trailer are a system, and have the same acceleration.In summary, the 10-Mg truck hauling the 20-Mg trailer starts from rest on a level road with a tractive force of 20 kN between the driving wheels and the road. The task is to compute the tension in the horizontal drawbar and the acceleration of the rig. The student is unsure of their method and whether they should use constant acceleration formulas. The solution involves examining the net external forces acting on the truck and trailer system through free body diagrams and using the fact that the truck and trailer have the same acceleration. The net external force acting on the system is the tractive force of 20,000 N, which can be used
aznkid310

Homework Statement

The 10-Mg truck hauls the 20-Mg trailer. If the unit starts from rest on a level road with a tractive force f of 20 kN between the driving wheels of the truck and the road, compute the tension T in the horizontal drawbar and the acceleration a of the rig.

Homework Equations

Did i do my sum of forces correctly? If so, I have two unknowns and one equation. The sum of forces in the y - direction would not help. Do i use constant acceleration formulas? If so, i can't seem to figure out which one to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

F_x = ma_x

ma_x = T - f
[(20+10)*10^3]*a_x = T - 20,000

Physics news on Phys.org
aznkid310 said:

Homework Statement

The 10-Mg truck hauls the 20-Mg trailer. If the unit starts from rest on a level road with a tractive force f of 20 kN between the driving wheels of the truck and the road, compute the tension T in the horizontal drawbar and the acceleration a of the rig.

Homework Equations

Did i do my sum of forces correctly? If so, I have two unknowns and one equation. The sum of forces in the y - direction would not help. Do i use constant acceleration formulas? If so, i can't seem to figure out which one to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

F_x = ma_x

ma_x = T - f
[(20+10)*10^3]*a_x = T - 20,000
You are not noting the net forces correctly. You have to examine the net external forces acting on the truck and trailer system by drawing a free body diagram of the system. Then break up the system into its component parts (truck only or trailer only), and examine the net forces acting on those parts using free body diagrams of those parts.
It is a good idea to first look at the truck-trailer system, which apparently you are attempting to do, having correctly noted that the mass of the system is 30,000 kg. But when you look at the system as a whole, what is the net external force acting on the system? You should note that the tension in the towbar is internal to the system, and will not show up in your determination of the net force in the x direction. The next step would be to look at a FBD of the trailer only. What net force acts on it? Are you familiar with free body diagrams?

I don't know how to draw a picture on the computer, so I'll try to explain my FBD. In the x-direction (for the trailer), there is the force by the truck in the (+) direction, the tractive force in the (-) direction, so:

ma = F_truck - f

It appears that I am missing something, but I am not sure what. If i only examine the trailer, then the tension becomes external correct?

Trailer wheels are free-spinning, and exert no tractive force.

aznkid310 said:
If i only examine the trailer, then the tension becomes external correct?
Yes, and that is the ONLY force acting on the trailer in the horizonatl direction. But before you look at the trailer, look at the entire truck-trailer system, and note that the ONLY force acting on the system is the tractive force (friction force between the tires and road that propels the truck-trailer forward in the +ive direction) of 20,000N. Solve for the acceleration, then go back to the trailer FBD to solve for the drawbar tension. Check your work by looking at a FBD of the truck only.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Truck and Trailer System?

What is Newton's 2nd Law of Motion?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, it means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the heavier the object, the slower its acceleration will be for the same amount of force.

How is Newton's 2nd Law related to the concept of inertia?

Newton's 2nd Law is closely related to the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This is because the mass of an object, which is a key factor in Newton's 2nd Law, also determines its inertia. Objects with greater mass have more inertia and require more force to accelerate them.

What is the mathematical formula for Newton's 2nd Law?

The mathematical formula for Newton's 2nd Law is F = ma, where F represents the net force acting on an object, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration of the object. This formula can be rearranged to calculate any of the three variables, as long as the other two are known.

How does Newton's 2nd Law apply to real-life situations?

Newton's 2nd Law has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it explains why it takes more force to push a heavy object than a lighter one. It also helps engineers design structures and vehicles that can withstand certain forces and accelerations. Additionally, it is the basis for many sports and activities, such as throwing a ball or riding a bike.

Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to objects in space?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to objects in space. In fact, it was first developed to explain the motion of celestial bodies. In space, there may be no apparent forces acting on an object, but the law still applies. For example, the gravitational force between planets and their moons causes their orbiting motion, as described by Newton's 2nd Law.