How Do You Calculate Tension and Normal Force in an Atwood Machine?

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood's machine with two masses, m1 and m2, and a simulation at t = 2.54 s. The system is in equilibrium and the normal force, FN, and tension, T, in the rope are to be calculated. Using the equations FN + T - m2 * g = 0 and the acceleration of m1 and m2, the tension in the rope can be found. This can then be used to solve for the normal force exerted on m2.
toshiba_girl

Homework Statement

For this problem the atwood's machine is used. There is a simulation where, m1 is 1.0 kg and m2 is 1.1 kg. Mass m2 rests on the floor that exerts a normal force, FN, on m2. There is no motion (i.e.. the system is in equilibrium). What is the normal force, FN, and what is the tension, T, in the rope? T (at t = 2.54 s) = ______. At equilibrium: FN + T – m2 • g = 0. Then FN = _______. For the simulation, at t=2.54 s, the tension of the pulley system is stated to be 9.789 N. Therefore I was wondering whether this value for tension is the value to be used or whether tension in the rope is to be calculated by other means.

Homework Equations

FN + T - M2 * g = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that maybe FN = (1.1 * 9.8) - (1.0*9.8) = 0.98 N
and T = (1.1 * 9.8) + (1.0 * 9.8) = 20.58 N

However this response does not seem to be correct to me. Can anyone please help me out. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At t = 2.54 s both mass are moving with some acceleration. Both will be moving with the same acceleration. m2 must be moving in the downward direction.
The acceleration of m2 is given by (m2*g - T)/m2
The acceleration of m1 is given by ( T - m1*g )/m1.
Equate them and find the tension in the rope.

Ok but then how would i calculate the normal force exerted on m2?

toshiba_girl said:
Ok but then how would i calculate the normal force exerted on m2?
You seem to have 2 parts to the problem. The first asks for the normal force of the floor on m2, when the system is in equilibrium. The second apprently gives you a tension force when m1 is lowered by some force?? I don't know about part 2. But as for part 1, the equilibrium case, look first at the forces acting on m1. That will allow you to solve for the rope tension. Then you can use that value to solve for Fn acting on m2.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Normal Force in an Atwood Machine?

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the effects of tension and gravity on a system.

2. How does tension affect the Atwood machine?

Tension is the force exerted by the string or rope in an Atwood machine. It acts in opposite directions on the two masses, causing them to accelerate in different directions. The magnitude of tension in the string is equal to the difference in weight between the two masses.

3. What factors affect the tension in an Atwood machine?

The tension in an Atwood machine is affected by the difference in weight between the two masses, the mass of the pulley, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by any friction or air resistance present in the system.

4. How is tension calculated in an Atwood machine?

The tension in an Atwood machine can be calculated using the formula T = (m1 - m2)g, where T is tension, m1 and m2 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes an ideal system with no friction or air resistance.

5. What is the purpose of studying tension in the Atwood machine?

Studying tension in the Atwood machine allows us to understand the effects of forces on a system and how they can be balanced or unbalanced. It also helps us to understand the relationship between acceleration, mass, and forces, which is important in many fields of science and engineering.