How Do You Calculate Tension in a Crane's Cable in Static Equilibrium?

In summary, a 25-ft crane supported by a pin and elevated by a horizontal cable with a 250-pound load suspended at the outer end has a center of gravity 10 feet from the pin and weighs 200 pounds. To find the tension in the cable, the equations of rotational equilibrium are used, with the resulting solution being approximately 570 pounds. The normal force from the wall is not included in the calculations as it acts through the rotation axis and does not contribute any torque.
wesDOT
Static equilibrium!

Homework Statement

A 25-ft crane supported at its lower end by a pin is elevated by a horizontal cable as shown in the figure. A 250-pound load is suspended from the outer end of the crane. The center of gravity of the crane is 10 feet from the pin, and the crane weighs 200 pounds. What is the tension in the horizontal cable?

l12g28.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would just like to know if my equations are missing anything. I generally can solve problems of the nature, but the configuration is different than anything I have done thus far and I am not completely clear on the forces that interact with the crane, especially at the pin/wall.

My equations are

∑Fx=Rcos30-T=0
∑Fy=Rsin30-200-250
∑tau=T(25)cos30-(200)(10)sin30-(250)(25)sin30

Are those correct or is my analysis wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

If it helps, imagine rotating the picture so the crane is laying horizontally, then draw the components of the forces that act perpendicular to the crane at their respective locations (see picture attached). That way it is easier to picture the angles of each force acting on the crane. Unless I'm mistaken, the only mistake you made was your calculation for the angles. I wrote my solution below if you want to look at it.

My solution:

There are three forces on the crane, whose magnitudes are:

1. The load’s weight w_l=250lb
2. The crane’s weight w_c=200lb
3. The wire’s tension T =? (the target variable)

Each force creates a torque on the system, whose axis of rotation is on the pin.
The torques are:

1. Load torque: Tau_1=(250lb)(25ft)sin60
2. Crane torque: Tau_2=(200lb)(10ft)sin60
3. Tension torque: Tau_3=T(25ft)sin30

In order for the system to be in rotational equilibrium, the net torque must be zero, so

Tau_3 = Tau_1 + Tau_2
T(25ft)sin30=(250lb)(25ft)sin60+(200lb)(10ft)sin60
T=[(250lb)(25ft)sin60+(200lb)(10ft)sin60]/ (25ft)sin30≈570lb

Hopefully my algebra didn't fail me.

Attachments

• Force Diagram1.bmp
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,190

Isnt there a force being exerted by the wall/pin? If the wall wasnt there, the beam would fall down and to the left?
Is the wall's force not in the equation because the components of that force act at a 90 degree angle to the origin and therefore have no torque? Wouldnt the component for the x-axis be in the Etau equation?

bump.

I'm sorry, I admit I completely forgot about the normal force from the wall. The wall does in fact exert a force on the beam. If it didn't, then the tension and weight would slingshot the beam down and to the left like you said.

However in this case, the point of rotation for the beam is on the wall where this normal force acts, thus the normal force vector points THROUGH the rotation axis and does not contribute any torque (thus leaving my solution coincidentally unchanged).

In short, your analysis looks right, only you seem to have the wrong angles in your sines. Just redraw a diagram and keep an eye on the angles you are using for the sines and cosines.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a Crane's Cable in Static Equilibrium?

1. What is static equilibrium of a crane?

Static equilibrium of a crane is a state in which all the forces acting on the crane are balanced, resulting in no net force and no net torque. This means that the crane is not moving or rotating.

2. Why is static equilibrium important for cranes?

Static equilibrium is important for cranes because it ensures that the crane remains stable and does not tip over while lifting heavy loads. It also helps to prevent damage to the crane and surrounding structures.

3. How is static equilibrium achieved in a crane?

Static equilibrium is achieved in a crane by carefully balancing the weights and forces acting on the crane. This includes the weight of the crane itself, the weight of the load being lifted, and the forces from wind and other external factors.

4. What factors can affect the static equilibrium of a crane?

Several factors can affect the static equilibrium of a crane, including the weight and distribution of the load, the angle and length of the crane's boom, wind speed and direction, and the stability of the ground on which the crane is standing.

5. How can static equilibrium be maintained throughout the lifting process?

To maintain static equilibrium throughout the lifting process, the crane operator must carefully monitor and adjust the crane's movements and counterweights as needed. It is also important to follow all safety protocols and adhere to load limits to prevent overloading the crane.