How Do You Calculate Tension in Angled Cables?

In summary, the problem involves a 21.0 kg loudspeaker that is suspended 2.40 m below the ceiling by two 3.90 m long cables. The problem is solved by creating a free body diagram and using the equation T = mg/2sin(theta) to find the tension in the cables. However, the angle used in the equation should be in radians instead of degrees, and the correct value to use is 2(3/5).
jonyamikun
[SOLVED] Tension in two cables

Homework Statement
21.0 kg loudspeaker is suspended 2.40 m below the ceiling by two 3.90 m long cables that angle outward at equal angles.

The attempt at a solution
So my homework comes from the MasteryingPhysics online homework.

What I first start out with is my free body diagram. I have 3 arrows, one pointing down for weight of the speakers by the Earth (Wse) and two arrows pointing up diagonally (Ts1 and Ts2). Since the speaker is static you have Ts1 + Ts2 + Wse = 0.

That was about as far as I could go. I then looked up information in my book but couldn't find much and so I resorted to the internet. I came across this page: http://science.palomar.edu/physics/Physics230/Tutor/4-31.html
I used the equation they give T = mg/2sin(theta)

I set a x-y axis starting with the speaker as the origin. I find the triangle that one string forms with the y-axis and the ceiling.

I find the angle that corresponds with the picture on the page I found and plug in the information I have into the equation: T = (21*9.81)/(2sin(37.98))

Putting this data into the answer box, I get the feedback: "Remember to use radians, not degrees, in arguments to trigonometric functions."

I don't lose any attempts with the answer so I think I'm on the right track but I don't know what to do at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like the angle is a 3-4-5 triangle. Don't use 2sin(37.98) in the denominator, it is at best an approximation.
Use 2(3/5). When you are given those little reference triangles (dont know actual names), just remember your trig SOH CAH TOA. Since you are looking for the sin, which is S=O/H, that should give you 3/5. Thats all you need. Multiply it bye the magnitude 2.

For your answer I am getting 171.675.

Mastering physics is a good HW site, but just be aware that they are occasional mistakes too.
Good luck and I hope this helped.

Chris

I would first like to commend you for approaching the problem with a free body diagram and using the appropriate equations to solve for the tension in the cables. Your approach is correct and you have identified the key forces acting on the speaker.

The feedback you received about using radians instead of degrees is important to note. In scientific calculations, angles are usually measured in radians rather than degrees. This is because radians are a more natural unit for measuring angles in mathematical equations.

To convert from degrees to radians, you can use the following formula:
radians = (π/180) * degrees

In your case, the angle of 37.98 degrees would convert to 0.663 radians. Plugging this value into your equation would give you the correct answer for the tension in the cables.

In summary, your approach to the problem was correct and the only thing that needed to be adjusted was the unit for the angle. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in Angled Cables?

1. What is tension in two cables?

Tension is the force that is applied to a cable, pulling it in opposite directions. In the case of two cables, tension is the force that is applied to both cables in opposite directions.

2. How is tension in two cables calculated?

Tension in two cables is calculated by taking into account the weight of the object being supported by the cables, the distance between the two cables, and the angle of the cables from the horizontal.

3. How does tension affect the stability of a structure?

Tension in two cables plays a crucial role in the stability of a structure. If the tension is not evenly distributed between the two cables, it can lead to unequal forces being applied to the structure, which can compromise its stability.

4. Can tension in two cables change over time?

Yes, tension in two cables can change over time. Factors such as temperature, wind, and the weight of the object being supported can all affect the tension in the cables.

5. How can tension in two cables be adjusted?

Tension in two cables can be adjusted by changing the length of the cables or by altering the angle at which they are attached to the structure. This can be done by tightening or loosening the cables or by adjusting the supports at either end of the cables.