How Do You Calculate Tension in Ropes and Vertical Forces in a Plank Problem?

In summary, The question involves determining the tension in two ropes and the vertical forces exerted by two men on a plank. The proper format for posting homework problems should be followed and previous attempts should be shown before asking for help.
yellow06
Hi everyone...how I wish someone could share their knowledge and help me through this..im having a difficulty on finding the right FBD of this problem.. I tried solving it but still I couldn’t get the right answer… anyone please help?.

Here is the question:

The window washer A and B support themselves and the 15-kg uniform plank CD by pulling down on the two ropes.

Determine (a) the tension in each rope; and (b) the vertical force that each man exerts on the plank.

(The required at question “b” are the normal force of A and B.)
Please?.. it would be very much appreciated..

THANKS in advance…

Attachments

• 4-96, pytel problem.jpg
    4-96, pytel problem.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 731
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the board! :)

Show us your attempts first before asking for any help. :)

if you look in the rules, you'll see the proper format for posting homework problems.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Tension in Ropes and Vertical Forces in a Plank Problem?

What is a mechanics problem?

A mechanics problem is a type of problem in the field of physics that involves the study of motion and forces. It typically requires the use of mathematical equations and concepts to solve.

What are the common types of mechanics problems?

Some common types of mechanics problems include problems involving Newton's laws of motion, kinematics, work and energy, and rotational motion. These problems can involve calculating forces, velocities, accelerations, and other physical quantities.

How do I approach solving a mechanics problem?

To solve a mechanics problem, it is important to first understand the given information and identify what is being asked. Then, use relevant equations and principles to set up and solve the problem step by step. Remember to always check your units and equations for accuracy.

What are some common mistakes when solving mechanics problems?

One common mistake is not understanding the problem correctly, which can lead to using incorrect equations or assumptions. Other mistakes include not paying attention to units, not setting up the problem correctly, or making calculation errors.

Are there any helpful tips for solving mechanics problems?

Some helpful tips for solving mechanics problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and checking your answer to ensure it makes sense. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of problems to improve your problem-solving skills.

Back