How Do You Calculate Tensions in a Suspended Engine Setup?

• Thread starter Ohoneo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves finding the tensions T1 and T2 in an automobile engine system. Using the given angles and equations for force and weight, the attempt at a solution involves setting up equations for the x and y components of the tension forces and solving for T2. However, the book states that the x and y components may be reversed if the angles are not in the usual place. A diagram may be needed for further clarification.
Ohoneo
Finding tension -- really basic

Homework Statement

An automobile engine has a weight whose magnitude is 3150 N. The engine is positioned above an engine, and is positioned by a rope.
There is an illustration given, but it's essentially just saying that the angle concerning T1 is 10 degrees (and T1 is pointing up and slightly to the left), and the angle concerning T2 is 80 degrees and it is to the right and slightly down.
I'm supposed to find T1 and T2

Homework Equations

T = mg
W = mg
F = ma
x component = A cos theta
y component = A sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did: I wrote out that Fx = - T1 cos 10 + T2 cos 80 = 0
Fy = T1 sin 10 - T2 sin 80 - W = 0
W = T1 sin 10 - T2 sin 80
T1 = (cos 80/cos 10) T2
Plug that into the equation solving for W.

W = (cos 80/cos 10) sin 10 - T2 sin 80
Solving for T2 I got approximately 3198 N.
Now, I stopped here, because the book said I was wrong.
Where I'm confused is that the book says that the x component for the tension involves sine and the y component involves cosine, but I was always taught it was the opposite... What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ohoneo said:
Where I'm confused is that the book says that the x component for the tension involves sine and the y component involves cosine, but I was always taught it was the opposite... What am I missing here?

If the angles are not in "the usual place", then it is quite possible for the sines and cosines to be interchanged. Perhaps you should post the diagram; your description of the angles and directions of the tensions leads me to believe that these aren't the "usual" angles.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Tensions in a Suspended Engine Setup?

What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when two objects are pulled in opposite directions, creating a stretching or elongating effect on the objects.

How do you calculate tension in a simple system?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation: T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

What are some real-life examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension include a weight hanging from a rope, a rubber band being stretched, or a tightrope walker balancing on a thin wire.

What factors can affect tension in a system?

Tension can be affected by the weight of the objects, the strength and elasticity of the materials, and the angle at which the objects are being pulled.

How can tension be used in everyday life?

Tension is used in various everyday activities, such as tying a knot, playing a musical instrument, or using a pulley system. It is also important in many engineering and construction applications, such as building bridges or supporting structures.

Back