How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of an iPad on a Frictional Surface?

• Thread starter JamesG
  • Start date
In summary: You already calculated Ffriction. You already know F(applied). Just add them together.In summary, the 1.0KG Apple iPad Tablet computer experiences a force of 40.0N when pushed horizontally, with a coefficient of kinetic friction of .40 between the tablet and the table. To calculate the acceleration of the iPad, the equation Fnet = ma is used, where Fnet is the sum of all forces acting on the object. After calculating the force of friction (Ff) to be -3.92N, the Fnet is found to be 3.92N. This results in an acceleration of 3.52 m/s^2 for the iPad.
JamesG

Homework Statement

At 1.0KG Apple Ipad Tablet computer is pushed horizontally with a force of 40.0N. The Coefficient of kinetic friction, between the tablet and the table equals .40
Calculate the acceleration of the ipad

Homework Equations

Ff = (.4)(1)(-9.8)
Fnet = 40N+.4-3.92

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = 3.52
Fnet = mass x A
Fnet = 1.0 x 3.52
A = 3.52 m/s^2

I've tried and tried, I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong. Everyone failed this test in our class, so he is letting us make test corrections. I've literally spent all night trying to figure this out, and this is my last resort. If you could just show me how to set up an equation, or give me advice. I'm not necessarily asking you do the problem for me, because I would never learn. I just need serious help.

Physics news on Phys.org
why are you multiplying the friction coefficient twice?

Where?

I thought I only multiplied .40 once

What did I do wrong?

Detail your calculation of Fnet.

What do you mean? Fnet = 40N + .40 (coefficient of friction) - 3.92

I got 3.92 by Ff = (.4)(1)(-9.80) = -3.92

so thenFf = 40 + .4 - 3.92 = 36.48

Fnet = 40-36.48 = 3.92

JamesG said:
What do you mean?

Fnet = 40N + .40 (coefficient of friction) - 3.92

I got 3.92 by Ff = (.4)(1)(-9.80) = -3.92

Why are you adding the coefficient of friction to Fnet? It's a unit-less coefficient. Forces have the units of Newtons. Your Ff calculation looks fine (assuming that you understand what the (1) represents).

so then

Ff = 40 + .4 - 3.92 = 36.48

Fnet = 40-36.48 = 3.92

Why are you recalculating Ff? and Fnet?

Fnet is the sum of the forces acting. Fnet = F(applied) + F(friction).

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of an iPad on a Frictional Surface?

1. What is the problem I need help with?

The problem you need help with should be clearly stated and specific. It is important to define the problem in order to find an effective solution.

2. What is the cause of the problem?

Identifying the root cause of the problem is crucial in finding a solution. It may require further investigation and analysis.

3. What possible solutions can be considered?

There may be multiple solutions to a problem. It is important to brainstorm and consider all options before deciding on the best course of action.

4. What are the potential risks and benefits of each solution?

It is important to weigh the risks and benefits of each solution in order to make an informed decision. This can help determine the most effective and efficient solution.

5. What is the timeline for implementing a solution?

Creating a timeline for implementing a solution can help ensure that the problem is addressed in a timely manner. It is important to consider any potential obstacles or challenges that may affect the timeline.

Back