How Do You Calculate the Age Ratio Between a Ship and a Boiler?

In summary, the ship is twice as old as the boiler was when the ship was as old as the boiler is. The ratio of their ages is 2:1. This solution was found and uploaded online with a timestamp of 10:35PM 4/27/2011, before it was posted here. The puzzle was solved both algebraically and geometrically, with a geometric solution being favored.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
The ship is twice as old as the boiler was when the ship was as old as the boiler is.

What is the ratio of their ages?

I do believe I have solved this (without Googling) and have uploaded my answer online with a timestamp of 10:35PM 4/27/2011 (i.e. before I posted this).

Let me know what you think.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got:
4 / 3
Let n be a positive integer. If the boiler was 2n when the ship was 3n, then the boiler is 3n and the ship is 4n (twice what the boiler was when the ship was 3n). 4n / 3n = 4 / 3.

Nice one. I had to make a timeline diagram to get it sorted out.

I solved it algebraicly:
SW = ship was; SI = ship is; BW = boiler was; BI = boiler is:
"ship was as old as the boiler is"
SW = BI
"The ship is twice as old as the boiler was"
SI = 2BW
And the fact that both age the same:
SI - SW = BI - BW
This is three equations in 4 unknowns, but only a ratio is required so there is sufficient input.

I went algebraically as well:

x = age boiler was
2x = age of ship
y = years since boiler was x
x+y = current age of boiler
x+y = age of ship when boiler was x

ship age = (x+y)+y= x+2y
ship age = 2x
therefore:
2x = x+2y
(1/2)x=y

current age of ship = x + 2(1/2)x = 2x
current age of boiler = x + (1/2)x = (3/2)x

ratio of ship to boiler
2x:(3/2)x or 4:3

I do like Dave's geometric solution, though.

Filip Larsen said:
Nice one. I had to make a timeline diagram to get it sorted out.

I'd like to see it.

The guy who gave me the puzzle it turns out also was working on a geometric solution and it looks very much like mine.

DaveC426913 said:
I'd like to see it.

Well, my head was spinning from getting the past and present tense sorted out, so it probably ended up being a bit more elaborate than necessary.

Make made two time lines representing the "life" of the ship and boiler:

|---------------S0----->S1
|..d..|---------B0----->B1

where the timeline for the boiler starts (i.e. has zero) a time d later than for the ship. The following equations can then be extracted: S1 = 2B0, B1-B0 = d, B1 = S0, and S1-S0 = d. Solving these for S1/B1 yields 4/3.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Age Ratio Between a Ship and a Boiler?

What is the age ratio of a ship and its boiler?

The age ratio of a ship and its boiler refers to the difference in age between the ship and its boiler. It is usually measured in years and can vary greatly depending on the specific ship and boiler in question.

Why is the age ratio of a ship and its boiler important?

The age ratio of a ship and its boiler is important because it can impact the overall performance and safety of the ship. A large age difference between the two may indicate that the boiler is due for maintenance or replacement, which could affect the ship's operations.

What factors can affect the age ratio of a ship and its boiler?

The age ratio of a ship and its boiler can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the type of boiler, the quality of maintenance and repairs, and the operating conditions of the ship. Other factors like the initial cost and lifespan of the boiler can also play a role.

How is the age ratio of a ship and its boiler calculated?

The age ratio of a ship and its boiler is typically calculated by subtracting the age of the ship from the age of the boiler. For example, if a ship is 10 years old and its boiler is 5 years old, the age ratio would be 5 (5 years difference between the two).

Is there an ideal age ratio for a ship and its boiler?

There is no single ideal age ratio for a ship and its boiler, as it can vary depending on the specific ship and boiler. However, it is generally recommended to have a minimal age difference between the two to ensure efficient and safe operations.