How Do You Calculate the Area Inside a Parametric Loop?

In summary: Well, you mentioned in your original post about integrating ydx as a line integral. What do you get if you integrate##\int_C -ydx + 0dy## counterclockwise around a loop? Think about Green's theorem. And you can do the line integral as a function of...
Sebobas
Hey Guys!

Homework Statement

Find the area of the "loop" (I'm guessing it's called) formed by the set of parametrics:

--> x(t)=t3-3t and y(t)=t2+t+1

Homework Equations

I've already drawn the graph and as said before the curve creates a "loop", I have to find the area insed that "loop" and I don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the graph: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Parametric+plot+(t^3-3t,t^2+t+1)

I know I probably have to integrate using y*dx..but I don't know where to separate the loop in order to integrate. I have no idea what the limits are.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sebobas said:
Hey Guys!

Homework Statement

Find the area of the "loop" (I'm guessing it's called) formed by the set of parametrics:

Homework Equations

I've already drawn the graph and as said before the curve creates a "loop", I have to find the area inside that "loop" and I don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the graph: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Parametric+plot+(t^3-3t,t^2+t+1)

I know I probably have to integrate using y*dx..but I don't know where to separate the loop in order to integrate. I have no idea what the limits are.

Thanks in advance!
Hello Sebobas. Welcome to PF !

Suppose that you know y as a function of x. In fact there would be one function for the upper portion of the "loop", call it f1(x), and another for the lower portion of the "loop", call it f2(x).

Let xL be the x value at the left-hand extreme of the "loop", and xR be the x value at the left-hand extreme of the "loop".

Then the area that you want is, of course,

[itex]\displaystyle \large {\int_{x_L}^{x_R}}{f_1(x)}\,dx-\large {\int_{x_L}^{x_R}}{f_2(x)}\,dx\ .[/itex]

Also notice that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{x_L}^{x_R}{f_2(x)}\,dx=-\int_{x_R}^{x_L}{f_2(x)}\,dx\ .[/itex]

And of course, as in integration by substitution, [itex]\displaystyle \int f(x)\,dx=\int g(t)\,\frac{dx}{dt}dt\,,[/itex] where g(t)=f(x(t)) .

Sebobas said:
Hey Guys!

Homework Statement

Thanks in advance!

That graph looks like the x-y coordinates of the intersection point are ##(-2,3)##. You know ##t## is between -2.497 and 2.497. You can figure out the two values of ##t## by inspection.

SammyS said:
Hello Sebobas. Welcome to PF !

Suppose that you know y as a function of x. In fact there would be one function for the upper portion of the "loop", call it f1(x), and another for the lower portion of the "loop", call it f2(x).

Let xL be the x value at the left-hand extreme of the "loop", and xR be the x value at the left-hand extreme of the "loop".

Then the area that you want is, of course,

[itex]\displaystyle \large {\int_{x_L}^{x_R}}{f_1(x)}\,dx-\large {\int_{x_L}^{x_R}}{f_2(x)}\,dx\ .[/itex]

Also notice that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{x_L}^{x_R}{f_2(x)}\,dx=-\int_{x_R}^{x_L}{f_2(x)}\,dx\ .[/itex]

And of course, as in integration by substitution, [itex]\displaystyle \int f(x)\,dx=\int g(t)\,\frac{dx}{dt}dt\,,[/itex] where g(t)=f(x(t)) .

Hey Sammy! Thanks, glad to have found the community (:

I get what you mean, I even tried what you said, but I found myself with a problem..

...and that was that when trying to find y in function of x, t gave me 2 different values, which one do I use?

LCKurtz said:
That graph looks like the x-y coordinates of the intersection point are ##(-2,3)##. You know ##t## is between -2.497 and 2.497. You can figure out the two values of ##t## by inspection.

Hey Kurtz.. well you are right the graphs do intersect at (2,3), when t = 1 and t =-2 ...but what do I do then? Separate the curves? in that case what are the upper and lower limits of those new integrals?

Sebobas said:
Hey Kurtz.. well you are right the graphs do intersect at (2,3), when t = 1 and t =-2 ...but what do I do then? Separate the curves? in that case what are the upper and lower limits of those new integrals?

Well, you mentioned in your original post about integrating ydx as a line integral. What do you get if you integrate##\int_C -ydx + 0dy## counterclockwise around a loop? Think about Green's theorem. And you can do the line integral as a function of ##t##.

Sebobas said:
Hey Sammy! Thanks, glad to have found the community (:

I get what you mean, I even tried what you said, but I found myself with a problem..

...and that was that when trying to find y in function of x, t gave me 2 different values, which one do I use?
You don't need to use y as a function of x. I was just showing how one might think about the problem.

Basically the g(t) I mentioned in that last step gives y as a function of t: y = f(1 OR 2)(x(t)) = t2 + t + 1 .

dx/dt = 3t2 - 3 .

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Area Inside a Parametric Loop?

What is the area of a parametric curve?

The area of a parametric curve is the region enclosed by the curve on a coordinate plane.

How do you calculate the area of a parametric curve?

To calculate the area of a parametric curve, you can use the formula A = ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) represents the equation of the curve and the integral is taken over the given range of x values.

Can the area of a parametric curve be negative?

No, the area of a parametric curve cannot be negative. It represents a physical quantity and therefore must have a positive value.

What is the significance of finding the area of a parametric curve?

Finding the area of a parametric curve can help in practical applications such as calculating the work done by a force or the amount of fluid flowing through a curved pipe.

Are there any limitations to calculating the area of a parametric curve?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating the area of a parametric curve, such as when the curve intersects itself or when the curve is not continuous. In these cases, the area may need to be calculated using other methods.