How Do You Calculate the Area of Region S Using Polar Coordinates?

• Thread starter nns91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, the particle is travelling left at point C, and then right at point D. It travels a total of 9 units from point A to point D.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. Given the line x=(5/3)x and the curve C: x= sqrt(1+y^2). Let S be the region bounded by the two graphs and the x-axis. The line and the curve intersect at point p.

a. Curve C is a part of the curve x^2-y^2= 1. Who that x^2-y^2=1 can be written as the polar equation: r^2=1/(cos^2([tex]\theta[/tex])-sin^2([tex]\theta[/tex]))

b. Use the polar equation given in part a to set up an integral expression with respect to the polar angle theta that represents the area of S.

2. A particle starts at point A on the positive x-axis at time t=0 and travels along the curve from A to B to C to D. The coordinates of the particle's position (x(t),y(t)) are differentialbe functions of t where x'(t)= -9cos(pi*t/6)sin(pi*sqrt(t+1)/2) and y'(t)=dy/dt is not explicitly given. At time t=9, the particle reaches its final position at point D on the positive x-axis.
(Note: Point A is right of point D so the particle is moving LEFT)

a. At point C, is dy/dt positive ? At point C, is dx/dt positive ?
b. The slope of the curve is undefined at point B. At what time is the particle at point B ?
c. The line tangent to the curve at the point (x(8),y(8)) has equation y=(5/9)x-2. Find the velocity vector and the speed of the particle at this point.
d. How far apart are the points A and D of the particle ?

Homework Equations

A= 1/2 integral(r^2 dtheta)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. How should I prove this ?
b. I know the formula for area but how do I find the interval in term of theta ?

a. So there is a graph given, at point C, the particle is going down so I think dy/dt is negative and as well as dx/dt right ?
b. So slope is undefined so dy/dx is undefined which means dx/dt =0 right ? so just find t for dx/dt =0. Am I right ?
c. so slope is 5/9 which means (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)=5/9. Does that mean that dy/dt=5 and dx/dt=9 ?
d. How do I attack part d ?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I think I solved part a. It's just the matter of converting from Cartesian to polar as x=r*cos(t) and y=r*sin(t).

For part b, how do I find the intersections of 2 graphs in term of angles ??

ANy suggestions for the other parts ?

I feel like I did part 2c wrong, can someone check ?

Is 5/9 only the ratio or actually dx/dt= 9 and dy/dt=5 ?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Area of Region S Using Polar Coordinates?

1. What are AP problems?

AP problems refer to practice questions or exercises that are designed to help students prepare for Advanced Placement (AP) exams. These exams are typically taken by high school students and can earn them college credit if they score well.

2. Why do students need help with AP problems?

Students may need help with AP problems because these exams cover advanced level material and can be challenging. Additionally, practicing with AP problems can help students improve their understanding and performance on the actual exam.

3. Where can I find AP problems to practice?

There are many resources available for finding AP problems to practice, including textbooks, online study guides, and official exam prep materials from the College Board. Your teacher or school may also have additional resources available.

4. How can I approach solving AP problems?

There are a few strategies for approaching AP problems. First, make sure you understand the question and what it is asking for. Then, review any relevant concepts and formulas. Finally, work through the problem step by step, showing all of your work and checking your answers.

5. Are there any tips for success with AP problems?

Some tips for success with AP problems include practicing consistently, seeking help when needed, and reviewing material regularly. It can also be helpful to simulate exam conditions when practicing, such as timing yourself and taking the exam without distractions.