How Do You Calculate the Binding Energy of Deuterium's Nucleons?

• Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
In summary, the atomic nucleus of Deuterium is a bound state of two nucleons, described by a central force problem with a potential of -V0 for r > R and 0 for r < R. In the ground state, the angular momentum number is l=0. To find the binding energy of the nucleons, the radial equation must be solved for both inside and outside of R, with three constraints for four constants (plus the energy). The condition ψ'(0) = 0 must be included to avoid a cusp at the origin.
carllacan

Homework Statement

The atomic nucleus of Deuterium is a bound state of two nucleons.

Through a change of coordinates we can transform the situation into a central force problem with a potential described by -V0 for r > R and 0 for r < R.

In the ground state of this nucleus the angular momentum number is l=0.

Find the binding energy of the nucleons.

Homework Equations

The radial equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partic...c_potential#Derivation_of_the_radial_equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two (second degree) radial equations (inside and outside of R) with different E, both with l = 0. I also have two conditions at r = R, where the two solutions and their derivatives have to be equal. I also have the normalization condition.

That makes three constraints for four constants (plus the energy), so I can't solve it.

I've tried adding the condition that ψ(0) = 0, because the nucleons can't be in the same place. This would allow me to find the energy inside R, which I think would be the end of the problem (since I am just asked to find the binding energy), but I'm not sure it is right, especially because doing it like this I get a solution with no dependence of V0.

Can you tell me how to continue from here?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get 4 constants from? Energy and amplitudes of the wave function inside and outside are 3.

I've tried adding the condition that ψ(0) = 0, because the nucleons can't be in the same place.
They can, they are different particle types. You can say something about ψ'(0), however.

Three? Each one is a second-degree differential equation, so each wave function has two constants: Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx) inside and Csin(k'x) + Dcos(k'x) outside, isn't that so?

What can I say about ψ'(0)? I'm thinking ψ'(0) = -ψ'(0), because the radial function has to be "symmetric" at each side of the 0 point, but that gives ψ'(0) = 0. Is this right?

carllacan said:
Three? Each one is a second-degree differential equation, so each wave function has two constants: Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx) inside and Csin(k'x) + Dcos(k'x) outside, isn't that so?

What can I say about ψ'(0)? I'm thinking ψ'(0) = -ψ'(0), because the radial function has to be "symmetric" at each side of the 0 point, but that gives ψ'(0) = 0. Is this right?

Yes, any other value for ψ' would produce a cusp at the origin.

carllacan said:
Ah yeah, that parametrization is better, the amplitudes would have to be complex with their relative phase as parameter... yeah use sine and cosine (or directly an exponential function for the outside area).

Right.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Binding Energy of Deuterium's Nucleons?

What is the central problem with l=o?

The central problem with l=o, also known as the "zero problem," refers to the difficulty of dealing with mathematical expressions or equations that become undefined or indeterminate when a variable in the expression approaches the value of zero.

Why is l=o a problem?

When a variable approaches zero, its reciprocal (1/variable) approaches infinity. This results in mathematical expressions or equations that cannot be solved or are undefined, causing difficulties in calculations and analysis.

What fields of science are affected by l=o?

The central problem with l=o is encountered in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and economics.

How do scientists deal with the central problem with l=o?

Scientists use various techniques to overcome the central problem with l=o, such as introducing a small non-zero value, taking limits, or using alternative mathematical models or methods.

What are some real-life examples of the central problem with l=o?

Some real-life examples of the central problem with l=o include calculating the speed of an object at a specific point in time, determining the rate of change in a chemical reaction, or analyzing the behavior of a population as a variable approaches zero.