How Do You Calculate the Combined Phase Angle Shift of Multiple Waves?

In summary, to find the combined phase angle shift of three waves with different amplitudes and phase angles, you can convert the (A,Φ) values to (x,y) coordinates and use standard vector addition. The formula for finding the combined phase angle is phi'=arctan(a2sin(phi)/(a1+a2cos(phi)), where phi represents the difference between the phase angles of two waves.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

If I have three different waves each with difference amplitude and phase angle how would i find the combined phase angle shift?

wave 1: A=5 phi=0
wave 2: A=5 phi=pi/4
wave 3: A=9 phi=pi/2

Homework Equations

phi'=arctan(a2sin(phi)/(a1+a2cos(phi)), where phi in this case is the difference between the phase angles of two waves.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first strategy was to add wave 1 and 2 and then add their sum to wave three. this gave me the correct combined amplitude of 15.29. I then applied the same thinking to the phase angles but the answer i got was incorrect so i tried vector addition and using the law of cosines and I got a nonsensical answer - arcos(-1.41). Needless to say i need a nudge in the right direction. Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the (A,Φ) values as polar coordinates of vectors. Convert them to (x,y) coordinates, and then it's standard vector addition from there.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Combined Phase Angle Shift of Multiple Waves?

1. What is phasor addition?

Phasor addition is a mathematical technique used to combine two or more phasors, which are complex numbers that represent the magnitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal.

2. Why is phasor addition important?

Phasor addition allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical circuits, such as those found in AC circuits, by simplifying the calculations and representing them visually.

3. How do you perform phasor addition?

To perform phasor addition, you first convert the sinusoidal signals into phasors by representing the amplitude and phase angle as a complex number. Then, you simply add the phasors together using vector addition.

4. What are the key principles of phasor addition?

The key principles of phasor addition include the conservation of energy, the use of complex numbers to represent sinusoidal signals, and the concept of vector addition to combine the phasors.

5. What are some applications of phasor addition?

Phasor addition is commonly used in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, such as in power systems, motors, and transformers. It is also used in other fields, such as physics and signal processing, for analyzing oscillatory systems.