How Do You Calculate the Components of Vector C?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the components of vector C, given the components of vectors A and B. The use of trigonometry or Pythagorean theorem is suggested, but it is not necessary as the components of the vectors are given. The solution involves writing C in terms of its components and using the given components of A and B to solve for the components of C.
donking225
1. Vector A has x and y components of −20 cm and 19 cm, respectively; vector B has x and y components of 11.1 cm and −20 cm, respectively. If A−B +3 C = 0, what are the x and y components of vector C ?

2. Not too sure. I am thinking that using trigonometry or Pythagorean theorem.

3. I attempted to find vector A and B by using Pythagorean theorem, which I roughly get to be 27.6 and 22.9. I am unsure how the negative values of the x and y components affect the actual number for the vectors. I know that I could also find the angles of the vectors using trig, but as stated earlier I am unsure how negative x and y components affect the magnitude of the vector except for it going in a different direction. After I know all that information I still do not know how to solve for the components of vector C. I am still relatively new with vectors so it would be great if you could explain things in the simplest terms possible.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you add vector A to vector B, what happens with their components?

I don't see any reason to use "trigonometry or Pythagorean theorem." In particular, when you say "I attempted to find vector A and B by using Pythagorean theorem, which I roughly get to be 27.6 and 22.9" it sounds like you really do not know what a vector is. The numbers you got from the Pythagorean theorem are the lengths of the vectors which is just on aspect of a vector, not the vector itself.

You are given components so do everything in components.

"Vector A has x and y components of −20 cm and 19 cm" so A= -20i+ 19j.
"vector B has x and y components of 11.1 cm and −20 cm, respectively" so B= 11.1i- 20j.

If we write C as Xi+ Yj, then A+ B+ 3C= -20i+ 19j+ 11.1i- 20j+ 3Xi+ 3Yj= (-20+ 11.1+ 3X)i+ (19- 20+ 3Y)j= 0i+ 0j. Solve those two equations for X and Y.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Components of Vector C?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction.

2. What are x and y components of a vector?

X and y components of a vector refer to the horizontal and vertical parts of a vector, respectively. They are used to break down a vector into its smaller parts.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its x and y components.

4. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted as long as they are of the same type (e.g. both displacement vectors or both force vectors). To add or subtract vectors, their x and y components are added or subtracted separately.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by both a number and a direction.

Back