How Do You Calculate the Conditional PDF for a Given Union of Events?

In summary, the problem is to find f(x|A), where f(x)=e^(-x) for x greater/equal to zero and A is the union of the events (1 less/equal x and x greater than 10). One approach is to use the formula f(x|A)=f(x)/∫Af(u)du, for xεA, and set f(x|A)=0 for all x not in A. This involves splitting the integral into two parts, (0,1) and (10,inf), and using a dummy variable u for integration. However, the specific limits and function f(u) will depend on the context of the problem.
shespuzzling
Hi,

This is a homework problem that I'm having a very hard time with. We are given that f(x)=e^(-x) for X greater/equal to zero. The question is to find f(x|A) where A is the union of the events (1 less/equal x, and x greater than 10). I can't figure out how to go about doing this...I thought of taking the complement of A and solving the conditional probability for x between 1 and 10, but then if I take 1 minus that, I don't think that f(x|A) will have an area less than 1, and it will also be negative at points. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x|A)=f(x)/∫Af(u)du, for xεA
f(x|A)=0, otherwise

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! But in this case, since A is less than 1 and greater than 10, what would the limits of the integral e? Also, what is f(u) in this case?

The integral just gets split up into two parts (0,1) and (10,inf).

Your second question makes me wonder about what level of math you are at. f is the function you are given. For the purpose of expressing the integral, u is just the dummy variable for integration - any other letter would do. I deliberately did not use x, since x is being used as the explicit variable for the expression.

I understand the frustration you are facing with this problem. Let's break it down step by step to find the conditional pdf.

First, we need to understand what the conditional pdf represents. It is the probability distribution of X given that A has occurred. In other words, it is the probability of X taking on a certain value, given that we know A has occurred.

Next, we need to find the probability of A occurring. We can do this by finding the area under the curve of f(x) between 1 and 10. This gives us the probability of A occurring, which we will denote as P(A).

Now, to find the conditional pdf, we need to divide the original pdf f(x) by P(A). This is because we want the probabilities to sum up to 1, and by dividing by P(A), we are essentially scaling the probabilities to account for the fact that A has occurred.

So, the conditional pdf, denoted as f(x|A), would be:

f(x|A) = (1/P(A)) * f(x) for x between 1 and 10

And for x less than or equal to 0 or greater than 10, f(x|A) would be 0 since we know A has not occurred.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach this problem. Remember, it's always important to understand the concept behind a problem before trying to solve it. Good luck!

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Conditional PDF for a Given Union of Events?

1. What is a conditional probability distribution?

A conditional probability distribution is a statistical concept that describes the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is used to model the relationship between two variables and can be represented as a function or table.

2. How do you find the conditional pdf?

To find the conditional pdf, you need to first determine the joint probability distribution of the two variables. Then, you divide the joint distribution by the marginal distribution of the variable you are conditioning on. This will give you the conditional pdf for the other variable.

3. What is the difference between a conditional pdf and a marginal pdf?

A conditional pdf describes the probability of one variable given that another variable has already occurred. A marginal pdf, on the other hand, describes the probability of one variable without considering the other variable. In other words, a conditional pdf takes into account the relationship between two variables, while a marginal pdf does not.

4. Can a conditional pdf be used to predict future events?

Yes, a conditional pdf can be used to predict future events if the relationship between the two variables remains consistent. However, if the relationship changes, the conditional pdf will also change and may not accurately predict future events.

5. How is a conditional pdf used in data analysis?

A conditional pdf is often used in data analysis to understand the relationship between two variables and to make predictions based on this relationship. It can also be used to identify patterns and trends in the data, and to determine the probability of certain outcomes based on the occurrence of other events.

Back