How Do You Calculate the Damping Constant for a Spring-Mass System?

In summary, the problem involves a hard-boiled egg of mass 45.0 g moving on the end of a spring with force constant k = 24.7 N/m. A damping force F = -bv acts on the egg, and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.120 m in a time of 5.10 s. The task at hand is to find the magnitude of the dampening constant b. To approach this question, the equation x(t) = x_{m} e^{\frac{-bt}{2m}} cos( \omega t) can be used, where Xm is the initial displacement, b is the dampening force, m is the mass, and omega is the angular frequency.
jaymode
Here is my problem:
A hard-boiled egg of mass 45.0 g moves on the end of a spring with force constant k = 24.7 N/m. Its initial displacement is 0.290 m. A damping force F = - bv acts on the egg, and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.120 m in a time of 5.10 s.

I need to find the magnitude of the dampening constant b.

I am completely clueless on how to approach this question.

edit: corrected some stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Me too, since I do not know what you mean by 'the force of B'.

sorry i guess i typed it wrong. the dampening force:

F = -bv

I need to find the magnitude of the dampening constant b.

[tex] x(t) = x_{m} e^{\frac{-bt}{2m}} cos( \omega t) [/tex]

where Xm is the initial displacement
b is hte damping force
m is the mass
omega is the angular frequency [tex] \omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T} [/tex] where [tex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]

for some reason that is not working for me.

jaymode said:
for some reason that is not working for me.
perhaps you are not using your numbers correctly

initla displacement Xm = 0.290 m
k = 24.7 N/m
X(5.10) = 0.120 m
t = 5.10s
m = 45g = 0.045 kg
and omega = [itex] \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/itex]
it's blind substitution, really

Related to How Do You Calculate the Damping Constant for a Spring-Mass System?

1. What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is a type of motion in which an object repeats the same pattern of movement over a specific time interval. This can include back and forth, circular, or oscillating motion.

2. What are examples of periodic motion?

Some examples of periodic motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the rotation of a ferris wheel, the bouncing of a spring, and the orbit of planets around the sun.

3. How is periodic motion different from random motion?

In periodic motion, the object follows a predictable pattern and returns to its starting point after a certain amount of time. Random motion, on the other hand, has no specific pattern and the object's path cannot be predicted.

4. What factors affect the period of a periodic motion?

The period of periodic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and the length of the path or distance traveled. For example, a heavier object will have a longer period than a lighter object with the same force acting on it.

5. How is periodic motion related to simple harmonic motion?

Periodic motion is a type of simple harmonic motion, which is a special type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that the object's motion follows a sinusoidal or wave-like pattern.

Back