How Do You Calculate the Difference in Cardinalities of Sets A and B?

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scalar Set
So, in summary, the value of n(B) - n(A) is 7, given that A and B are finite non-empty sets, A is a subset of B, and the number of subsets of B\A is 128.
V0ODO0CH1LD
Scalar multiplying a set??

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two finite non-empty sets such that A [itex]\subset[/itex] B and n({C : C [itex]\subset[/itex] B\A}) = 128. Then what is the value of n(B) - n(A)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually got to 7 by assuming that n was multiplying the cardinality of C, but I am not sure if that is what happens. What does it mean to have a scalar multiplying a set? Or is n not a scalar in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org

V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two finite non-empty sets such that A [itex]\subset[/itex] B and n({C : C [itex]\subset[/itex] B\A}) = 128. Then what is the value of n(B) - n(A)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually got to 7 by assuming that n was multiplying the cardinality of C, but I am not sure if that is what happens. What does it mean to have a scalar multiplying a set? Or is n not a scalar in this case?
I don't read this as "n times a set" but as "the number of elements in set <whatever>". Check your book or notes for exactly what this notation means.

Mark44 said:
I don't read this as "n times a set" but as "the number of elements in set <whatever>". Check your book or notes for exactly what this notation means.

That actually makes a lot of sense! I checked my book and n(A) is a notation for the cardinality of A. But the funny thing is that the answer would still be 7, even though I carried the notation around as if it were a multiplication.

If C = P(B\A) where P(B/A) is the power set of B\A. Then n(C : {C [itex]\subset[/itex] A\B}) = P(B\A) = 2n(B\A) = 128 = 27.

Therefore n(B\A) = 7.

n(B\A) = n(B) - n(A) if A [itex]\subset[/itex] B.

Is that still correct?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
That actually makes a lot of sense! I checked my book and n(A) is a notation for the cardinality of A. But the funny thing is that the answer would still be 7, even though I carried the notation around as if it were a multiplication.

If C = P(B\A) where P(B/A) is the power set of B\A. Then n(C : {C [itex]\subset[/itex] A\B}) = P(B\A) = 2n(B\A) = 128 = 27.

Therefore n(B\A) = 7.

n(B\A) = n(B) - n(A) if A [itex]\subset[/itex] B.

Is that still correct?

Yes, it is. I'm not sure how you got it by misunderstanding the notation, but ok.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Difference in Cardinalities of Sets A and B?

1. What does it mean to scalar multiply a set?

Scalar multiplication is a mathematical operation where a scalar, or a real number, is multiplied to each element in a set. This results in a new set with all the elements multiplied by the scalar.

2. How do you perform scalar multiplication on a set?

To scalar multiply a set, you simply multiply each element in the set by the scalar. For example, if you have the set {1, 2, 3} and you want to scalar multiply it by 2, the result would be {2, 4, 6}.

3. What is the purpose of scalar multiplying a set?

Scalar multiplication is often used in linear algebra to transform vectors. It can also be used to scale or resize a set of data.

4. Can any scalar be used to multiply a set?

Yes, any real number can be used as a scalar to multiply a set. This includes positive, negative, and fractional numbers.

5. Does scalar multiplication change the order or elements in a set?

No, scalar multiplication does not change the order of elements in a set. It simply multiplies each element by the scalar, but the order of elements remains the same.