How Do You Calculate the Distance of Closest Approach in a Particle Collision?

• Thread starter fayled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary: Sorry!In summary, the problem involves an alpha particle being accelerated through a potential difference of 20 kV and approaching a stationary Beryllium nucleus. To calculate the distance of closest approach, the problem takes into account the recoil of the stationary nucleus and transforms it into the center of mass frame. In this frame, both particles are moving at speed VCM, and the equation T=18mv^2/13 is used to find the kinetic energy. The potential energy is then calculated using U=2e^2/πε0d, where d is the distance of closest approach. After some adjustments for typos, the final equation for d is 13e^2/9πε0V, which gives a value
fayled

Homework Statement

An alpha particle is accelerated from rest through a potential dierence of 20 kV. It travels directly towards a stationary Beryllium nucleus (4 protons, 5 neutrons). Calculate the distance of closest approach.

The problem definitely wants a solution that takes into account the recoil of the stationary nucleus on approach.

Homework Equations

VCM=m1v1+m2v2/m1+m2
U=Q1Q2/4πε0d
T=mv2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the oncoming alpha particle have speed v. VCM=4v/13. In the CM frame, we have a particle of mass 4m, charge 2e, speed 9v/13 heading towards on of mass 9m, charge 4e, speed -4v/13.

Initially, T=18mv2/3. This all becomes PE which will be 2e2/πε0d for closest approach d. Equating given d=e2/3πε0mv2. T=qV for a p.d V so v2=2qV/m. Then d=e/3πε0V. Plugging in the numbers given d=96fm.

I don't have a solution so would appreciate somebody having a check. I'm unsure about my approach because it assumes that the initial scenario (i.e as soon as the alpha particle has finished being accelerated through the p.d) has the PE as zero, which isn't realistic and the question doesn't indicate this is valid. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You went wrong when you said all the energy becomes PE. That's not the case. At closest approach both particles are moving at speed VCM

dauto said:
You went wrong when you said all the energy becomes PE. That's not the case. At closest approach both particles are moving at speed VCM

But I'm working in the CM frame?

Last edited:
dauto said:
Fayled has transformed the problem into the CM frame, where VCM is zero. So the approach is correct.

But I did spot two mistakes or typos.
fayled said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the oncoming alpha particle have speed v. VCM=4v/13. In the CM frame, we have a particle of mass 4m, charge 2e, speed 9v/13 heading towards on of mass 9m, charge 4e, speed -4v/13.
Looks good so far.

Initially, T=18mv2/3.
It should be "/13" at the end, not "/3". Do you agree?

This all becomes PE which will be 2e2/πε0d for closest approach d. Equating given d=e2/3πε0mv2.
Agree, once you fix the earlier mistake.

T=qV for a p.d V so v2=2qV/m.
I agree.

Then d=e/3πε0V.
I don't think that follows. Can you show the steps leading up to this expression (following the [itex]v^2=\frac{2qV}{m}[/itex] result)? What are you using for q?

Plugging in the numbers given d=96fm.

I don't have a solution so would appreciate somebody having a check. I'm unsure about my approach because it assumes that the initial scenario (i.e as soon as the alpha particle has finished being accelerated through the p.d) has the PE as zero, which isn't realistic and the question doesn't indicate this is valid. Thanks.
It is safe to assume this is valid. The alpha should be a considerable distance from the berylium when it exits the accelerator, so there would be negligible PE at that time.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
Fayled has transformed the problem into the CM frame, where VCM is zero. So the approach is correct.

But I did spot two mistakes or typos.

Looks good so far.It should be "/13" at the end, not "/3". Do you agree?Agree, once you fix the earlier mistake.I don't think that follows. Can you show the steps leading up to this expression? What are you using for q?It is safe to assume this is valid. The alpha should be a considerable distance from the berylium when it exits the accelerator, so there would be negligible PE at that time.

Right:

Yes I agree! In fact a follow up question of mine was going to be why doesn't TLAB=TTCM+T', with T' the KE of a particle of the total mass of the system moving at speed VCM? That error solves that (should have known better than thinking physics had broken and I hadn't made an error).

So T=18mv2/13

U=2e2/πε0d

d=13e2/9πε0mv2

Now v2=eV/m. Before I had v2=2qV/m. But I would then need q=2e,m=4m (i.e I should have used M say - I think this confused you).

d=13e/9πε0V=416fm (simply substituting the above expression into the one above it).

Hopefully that's right. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Looks good. You're welcome! :smile:

p.s. You're right, I was confused about m vs. 4m.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Distance of Closest Approach in a Particle Collision?

What is the distance of closest approach in physics?

The distance of closest approach is the minimum distance between two objects that are moving and are influenced by each other's gravitational or electromagnetic forces.

How is the distance of closest approach calculated?

The distance of closest approach can be calculated using equations derived from the laws of physics, such as Newton's law of gravitation or Coulomb's law of electrostatics.

What factors affect the distance of closest approach?

The distance of closest approach is affected by the masses and velocities of the two objects, as well as the strength of the forces acting between them.

What is the significance of the distance of closest approach?

The distance of closest approach is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of objects in the universe, such as the orbits of planets around the sun or the paths of particles in particle accelerators.

Can the distance of closest approach be manipulated?

The distance of closest approach can be altered by changing the initial conditions of the objects, such as their masses or velocities, or by intervening forces acting on the objects during their interaction.