How do you calculate the energy stored in a power spring?

In summary, the discussion was about calculating the energy stored in a power spring for a university project involving a KERS system. The power spring is connected to the car's drive train and rotates during braking, storing kinetic energy. The traditional equation for energy stored in a spring is PE= 1/2 k x^2, but for a rotational power spring, the equation may need to be modified. The main question is how to determine the spring constant for this type of spring.
Webbd050
How do you calculate the energy stored in a power spring? For a uni project one of my concepts is a KERS which stores the cars kinetic energy in a power spring. under braking a shaft connected to the cars drive train is engaged which is connected to a few power springs as shown here http://www.spiroflex.com/pdfs/Mtr_spr_A_B_eng.pdf when the shaft rotates it coils the springs around it. How can i calculate the energy stored and torque output?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Webbd050 said:
How do you calculate the energy stored in a power spring? For a uni project one of my concepts is a KERS which stores the cars kinetic energy in a power spring. under braking a shaft connected to the cars drive train is engaged which is connected to a few power springs as shown here http://www.spiroflex.com/pdfs/Mtr_spr_A_B_eng.pdf when the shaft rotates it coils the springs around it. How can i calculate the energy stored and torque output?

Since this is your schoolwork project, you need to tell us about your thoughts, before we can be of much tutorial help.

What is the traditional equation for the energy stored in a spring? How is that different or modified for the spring geometry you are asking about?

Its for university not school hahaha. Well a standard spring is either compression or extension a power spring is rotational. The equation for a standard spring is PE= 1/2 k x^2 which i suppose could be used I am just unsure of how to work out the spring constant.

Related to How do you calculate the energy stored in a power spring?

What is a power spring?

A power spring is a coiled piece of metal, usually made of steel, that stores mechanical energy when it is wound up or compressed. This energy can then be released to power a device or perform work.

How do you calculate the energy stored in a power spring?

The energy stored in a power spring can be calculated using the formula: E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the energy stored, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed or wound up.

What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a power spring?

The amount of energy stored in a power spring is affected by the material and thickness of the spring, the number of coils, the diameter of the coils, and the amount of compression or winding.

Can the energy stored in a power spring be increased?

Yes, the energy stored in a power spring can be increased by increasing the spring constant, increasing the distance it is compressed or wound up, or using a material with a higher elasticity.

How is the energy stored in a power spring used?

The energy stored in a power spring is commonly used in devices such as watches, toys, and tools to provide a source of mechanical energy. When the spring is released, it can power movement or perform work.