How Do You Calculate the Flow Rate of Air Through the Trachea?

• Thread starter Nellen2222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Volume
In summary, under normal activity, an adult inhales approximately 1.1 liters of air during each inhalation. By using a stopwatch, one can determine the time for an inhalation and estimate the volume flow in m^3/s through the trachea. The diameter of the trachea is approximately 25mm and the conversion to meters is 0.025m. The inhalation time of 2.5 seconds per inhalation is a reasonable value. By calculating the rate of air in liters/second, one can accurately estimate the volume flow through the trachea during inhalation.
Nellen2222

Homework Statement

Reynolds number and the turbulence of trachael air flow

under the conditions of normal activity an adult inhales about 1.1l of air during each inhalation. using a stop watch, dTErmine the time for one of your own inhalations and hence estimate the volume flow in m^3/s through your trachea during inhalation. The diameter of the trachea is appx 25mm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 25mm to m = 0.025m
1.1l = 0.001 meters^3
I just can't seem to get the right "inahlation using a stopwatch". I used 0.3m^3/s but that didnt seem to be right at all. Can anyone help me? What is a reasonable vallue for this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Nellen2222 said:
... using a stop watch, dTErmine the time for one of your own inhalations ...

I just can't seem to get the right "inahlation using a stopwatch". I used 0.3m^3/s but that didnt seem to be right at all. Can anyone help me? What is a reasonable vallue for this??
What did you get for your inhalation time? If you don't have an actual stopwatch, a clock or watch that displays the seconds (in addition to hours and minutes), or one that has a seconds hand, would work.

2.5 seconds per inahalation

Nellen2222 said:

If each inhalation contains 1.1 liters (1100cc) and requires 2.5 seconds, what is your inhalation rate in lites/sec (or cubic meters per second or cc/sec)?

Nellen2222 said:
Okay, that sounds totally reasonable. Now you just need to follow Chestermiller's line of questions. You have the amount of air in liters, and the amount of time in seconds. So next you need to calculate the rate in liters/second.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Flow Rate of Air Through the Trachea?

1. How much air can the trachea hold?

The volume of air that can be held in the trachea varies based on factors such as age, gender, and lung capacity. On average, the trachea can hold about 20-25 milliliters of air.

2. Does the volume of air in the trachea change?

Yes, the volume of air in the trachea can change depending on various factors such as breathing rate, physical activity, and lung health. It can also change in response to certain medical conditions, such as inflammation or obstruction.

3. How does the volume of air in the trachea affect breathing?

The volume of air in the trachea plays a crucial role in breathing. When we inhale, the trachea expands to allow more air to enter the lungs. When we exhale, the trachea contracts, pushing the air out of the lungs.

4. Can the volume of air in the trachea be measured?

Yes, the volume of air in the trachea can be measured using a technique called spirometry. This involves breathing into a device that measures the amount of air and how quickly it is exhaled. It can provide valuable information about lung function and potential respiratory problems.

5. How does the volume of air in the trachea differ from the volume in the lungs?

The volume of air in the trachea is much smaller compared to the volume in the lungs. The lungs have a much larger capacity to hold air, as they are the main organs responsible for gas exchange in the body. The trachea acts as a passageway for air to travel to and from the lungs.