How Do You Calculate the Force Between Two Masses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces and net forces involved in a system of three masses with no friction. The corresponding force balances are provided, as well as equations to find the acceleration. The concept of Newton's third law is also brought up.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Fnet=ma, F 1 on 2 = -F2 on 1
Answer is 7.00.

I don't really know where to start on this one. Because there is no friction, shouldn't there be no force pushing against the first mass? If I assume the next mass has a force that acts against the first, I'm not sure how to find it.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see your three free body diagrams (one for each mass), and, based on these free body diagrams, what are the corresponding force balances (one for each mass).

Chestermiller said:
Let's see your three free body diagrams (one for each mass), and, based on these free body diagrams, what are the corresponding force balances (one for each mass).

Well you can have Fnet1=Applied Force-Force of mass 2 on mass 1. Then Fnet2=Force mass 1 on mass 2-Force mass 3 on mass 2. And finally Fnet3=Force mass 2 on mass 3.

But none of these net forces will be the same, because although they have the same acceleration, they have different masses.

JoeyBob said:
Well you can have Fnet1=Applied Force-Force of mass 2 on mass 1. Then Fnet2=Force mass 1 on mass 2-Force mass 3 on mass 2. And finally Fnet3=Force mass 2 on mass 3.

But none of these net forces will be the same, because although they have the same acceleration, they have different masses.
Sure. Please post your 3 FBDs and 3 equations. Thanks.

JoeyBob said:

Well, you have the right idea, but those really aren't equations. I'm going to take the liberty of writing out the equations.

$$F_0-F_{12}=m_1a$$
$$F_{12}-F_{23}=m_2a$$
$$F_{23}=m_3a$$

OK so far?

Chestermiller said:
Well, you have the right idea, but those really aren't equations. I'm going to take the liberty of writing out the equations.

$$F_0-F_{12}=m_1a$$
$$F_{12}-F_{23}=m_2a$$
$$F_{23}=m_3a$$

OK so far?

Kind of. Shouldnt it be

$$F_0-F_{21}=m_1a$$ instead of

$$F_0-F_{12}=m_1a$$ ? ect.

Because the force of mass two is pushing against the applied force. It doesn't make sense to me that the force mass 1 has on 2 is pushing against the applied force.

Or is this an application of Newtons third law?

JoeyBob said:
Kind of. Shouldnt it be

$$F_0-F_{21}=m_1a$$ instead of

$$F_0-F_{12}=m_1a$$ ? ect.

Because the force of mass two is pushing against the applied force. It doesn't make sense to me that the force mass 1 has on 2 is pushing against the applied force.

Or is this an application of Newtons third law?
I’m calling it the magnitude of the force and applying the third law.

Chestermiller said:
I’m calling it the magnitude of the force and applying the third law.

Okay so it would be

$$F_0-F_{21}=m_1a$$

but wouldn't it change to

$$F_0+F_{12}=m_1a$$ using the third law because F(21)=-F(12)?

JoeyBob said:
Okay so it would be

$$F_0-F_{21}=m_1a$$

but wouldn't it change to

$$F_0+F_{12}=m_1a$$ using the third law because F(21)=-F(12)?
Let |F| be the magnitude of the contact force between the masses m1 and m2. Then the force exerted by m1 on m2 is ##|F|\mathbf{i}## and the force exerted by m2 on m1 is ##F(-\mathbf{i})=-|F|\mathbf{i}##. So the force balance on m1 is $$F_0-|F|=m_1a$$And the force balance on m2 is $$|F|-|G|=m_2a$$where |G| is the magnitude of the contact force between the masses m2 and m3.

Chestermiller said:
Let |F| be the magnitude of the contact force between the masses m1 and m2. Then the force exerted by m1 on m2 is ##|F|\mathbf{i}## and the force exerted by m2 on m1 is ##F(-\mathbf{i})=-|F|\mathbf{i}##. So the force balance on m1 is $$F_0-|F|=m_1a$$And the force balance on m2 is $$|F|-|G|=m_2a$$where |G| is the magnitude of the contact force between the masses m2 and m3.

Ok I think I get it. Then you just solve for F(12), which you can do by finding an equation for acceleration and then substituting a bunch.

JoeyBob said:
Ok I think I get it. Then you just solve for F(12), which you can do by finding an equation for acceleration and then substituting a bunch.
Add the three equations together and see what you get.

Likes JoeyBob
Chestermiller said:
Add the three equations together and see what you get.
Yeah a bunch of stuff cancels. and you can get the acceleration. Thanks for all the help.

Likes Chestermiller

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Force Between Two Masses?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two masses?

The formula for calculating the force between two masses is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. What is the value of the gravitational constant, G?

The value of the gravitational constant, G, is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

3. How do I calculate the distance between two objects?

The distance between two objects can be calculated using the formula r = √(F/G(m1m2)), where r is the distance, F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, and m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects.

4. What is the unit of measurement for force between two masses?

The unit of measurement for force between two masses is Newtons (N).

5. Can the force between two masses ever be negative?

No, the force between two masses can never be negative. It is always a positive value as it is a measure of the attraction between two objects due to gravity.

Back