How Do You Calculate the Force Constant of a Spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring and the force constant. The person has tried different ways to solve it but has not been successful. They explain their approach and ask for help in understanding where they went wrong. They also mention their teacher's lack of assistance and ask for clarification on the correct method. Eventually, they figure out their mistake and plan to use the homework template in the future.
treeelf5150
I'm jut not sure how to solve this problem in general, I tried a couple ways, but I keep getting wrong answers and I only have 2 attempts left. Please give me a direction to go in!

A spring is 17.1cm long when it is lying on a table. One end is then attached to a hook and the other end is pulled by a force that increases to 25.5N , causing the spring to stretch to a length of 19.5cm .
What is the force constant of this spring?

First I drew the FBD, summed the forces and normal force and gravity cancel, then youre left with a force of 25N in the positive direction, its not accelerating so it equals zero. Thats all my teacher has taught me about force problems, we haven't even talked about springs before. I know that the answer should be in N/m from, so I tried dividing the force by the total length, and it was wrong. I then divided the force by the difference in lengths, which still was wrong. Unfortunately my teacher doesn't help us with our homework and isn't a good teacher in general for teaching... Please help me understand :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your numbers when you divide by the change in length.

Also, in the future, please use the homework template. Otherwise, future posts will be deleted.

Chet

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware there was a emplate, I'm using my phone and the whole page isn't loading. I have found the answer to the problem, my mistake was not converting from centimeters to meters before hand. Thank you for replying though and I will get on my computer to see how the template is

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Force Constant of a Spring?

What are force constants of springs?

Force constants of springs are numerical values that describe the stiffness or rigidity of a spring. They represent the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How are force constants of springs measured?

Force constants of springs are typically measured using a spring balance or a force gauge. These instruments apply a known force to a spring and measure the amount of displacement or elongation of the spring.

What factors affect the force constants of springs?

The force constants of springs can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the diameter of the wire used to make the spring. Temperature and external forces can also impact the force constants.

Why are force constants important?

Force constants are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of springs in different situations. They are also essential for designing and engineering systems that use springs, such as mechanical devices and structures.

Can force constants of springs change?

Yes, force constants of springs can change due to factors such as temperature, strain, and the material properties of the spring. Changes in the force constant can also be intentionally made by adjusting the shape or dimensions of the spring.