How Do You Calculate the Force of Gravity on a Spacecraft Above Earth?

In summary: AZING! THANK YOU! In summary, the craft has a mass of 1400 kg and the force of gravity is 6.67*10^-11 N.
shrtweez13
Calculate the force of gravity on a spacecraft 6400 km (1 Earth radii) above the Earth's surface if its mass is 1400 kg.

i started by using the Fg = GMm/d

and i plugged in the numbers so it looked like this

(6.67*10^-11)(1400)(?)/12800

i don't know what m should equal and i can't get past that much. thanks so much for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct formula. One of the M's is the mass of the second object involved in the gravitational attraction, in this case the earth. Find the mass of the Earth in your data sheets, plug that in, and your done.

Last edited:
thanks so much!

i was also stuck on this problem if you can help me.

A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 300 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 200 m.
Determine the tangential acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration. Determine the radial acceleration of the car at this time. If the curve were flat, what would the coefficient of static friction have to be between the tires and the roadbed to provide this acceleration with no slipping or skidding?

i know you use the equation Ac = v^2/r but i don't know for which part to use it for. so i used 300^2/100

but i know that's not right and i have no idea where to go from there. thanks so much

Sirus said:
You have the correct formula. One of the M's is the mass of the second object involved in the gravitational attraction, in this case the earth. Find the mass of the Earth in your data sheets, plug that in, and your done.
This is not the correct formula. The correct formula (Law of Universal Gravitation) is:

[tex]F = \frac{GM_{Earth}m_{craft}}{r^2}[/tex]

where r= Radius of the Earth + d (distance above surface).

Note the [itex]r^2[/itex] in the denominator. So all you have to really know to solve this problem is that the force would be 1/4 at twice the distance or 350 kg.

AM

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Force of Gravity on a Spacecraft Above Earth?

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation: F = G * (m1 * m2 / r^2), where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is affected by the masses of the objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force of gravity.

4. How does the force of gravity vary on different planets?

The force of gravity varies on different planets due to differences in mass and radius. Planets with larger masses and/or smaller radii will have a stronger force of gravity compared to planets with smaller masses and/or larger radii.

5. Can the force of gravity be manipulated or canceled?

The force of gravity cannot be manipulated or canceled. It is a fundamental force of nature that exists between all objects with mass. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as lift or thrust, in certain situations.

Back