How Do You Calculate the Forces Exerted by Each Lifeguard on a Raft?

• Thread starter snash1057
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
The forces acting on the raft are the two forces from the lifeguards (F1 and F2), and the net external force (304 N or 115 N). Remember that the net force is equal to the sum of all the individual forces. Use this information to find the values for F1 and F2 using basic algebra. In summary, the question is asking to find the force exerted by each lifeguard on the raft, given that they pull in either the same direction or opposite directions resulting in different net external forces. This can be solved by drawing a force diagram and using algebra to find the values for the individual forces.
snash1057
please help with this exerted force question!?

Two lifeguards pull on ropes attached to a raft. If they pull in the same direction, the raft experiences a net external force of 304 N to the right. If they pull in opposite directions, the raft experiences a net external force of 115 N to the left.

Find the force exerted by each lifeguard on the raft. (Disregard any other forces acting on the raft.)
____N( larger force)
____N( smaller force)

i know this has something to do with F1 and F2, but i don't know what to do with them

Physics news on Phys.org

Please see the Private Message (PM) I have sent you.

snash1057 said:
i know this has something to do with F1 and F2, but i don't know what to do with them
Try drawing a force diagram for the raft.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Forces Exerted by Each Lifeguard on a Raft?

1. What is an exerted force?

An exerted force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or deform. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is exerted force calculated?

To calculate exerted force, you need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. The formula is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The unit of force is Newtons (N).

3. What are some examples of exerted force?

Some examples of exerted force include pushing a shopping cart, pulling a door handle, throwing a ball, and kicking a soccer ball. Anytime you apply a push or pull on an object, you are exerting a force.

4. How does the direction of exerted force affect an object?

The direction of exerted force affects the direction of an object's movement. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the force is perpendicular to the object's motion, it will change its direction.

5. How can exerted force be measured?

Exerted force can be measured using a spring scale or a dynamometer. These devices measure the amount of force applied to them and display the measurement in Newtons (N).