How Do You Calculate the Fourier Series for f(x) = 1/cos(x) on [-pi/4, pi/4]?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series for the function f(x) = 1/cos(x) on the interval [-pi/4, pi/4]. The equation for a Fourier series for a function with period 2L is given, along with the expressions for the coefficients an and bn. The attempt at a solution involves treating the function as (pi/2)-periodic and using the equation to find an expression for a0. However, the integral for an cannot be solved without knowing the value of n. Suggestions are made to use hyperbolic functions or convert to complex form.
raphile

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series for the function

f(x) = 1/cos(x)

on the segment [-pi/4, pi/4].

Homework Equations

A Fourier series for a function f(x) with period 2L has the form:

(a0/2) + SUM(n=0 to infinity) [ an*cos((n*pi*x)/L) + bn*sin((n*pi*x)/L) ], where:

an = (1/L) INTEGRAL (-L to L) f(x)cos((n*pi*x)/L) dx for n = 0, 1, 2, ...

bn = (1/L) INTEGRAL (-L to L) f(x)sin((n*pi*x)/L) dx for n = 0, 1, 2, ...

The Attempt at a Solution

By treating the function as (pi/2)-periodic, I used the equation above to get an expression for a0:

a0 = (4/pi) ln [(sqrt(2)+1)/(sqrt(2) - 1)]

Also, because f(x) is an even function, we can deduce without any calculation that bn will be zero for all n. So the only thing is to work out an.

But this is far as I've got. By using the formula above, I have this expression for an:

an = (4/pi) INTEGRAL (-pi/4 to pi/4) (cos(4nx)/cos(x)) dx

I don't know how to solve this integral. I know how to do it if n is some small integer; for instance, I can find a1 by integrating cos(4x)/cos(x), using trigonometric identities, but I can't see how to generalise the method. Can anyone help?

P.S. Sorry I don't know how to use latex, I did try but it came out as a mess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try hyperbolic functions? Converting to e's...

I just looked over...
Converted 1/cos(x) to the hyerbolic form and used complex form .. and couldn't foresee any big problem

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Fourier Series for f(x) = 1/cos(x) on [-pi/4, pi/4]?

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to decompose a complex function into simpler, trigonometric components.

What is the purpose of Fourier Series?

The purpose of a Fourier series is to analyze and understand the behavior of a periodic function by breaking it down into simpler components. It is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics.

How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sinusoidal functions that make up the series. This is done using a formula called the Fourier series formula, which involves integration and complex numbers.

What is the difference between Fourier Series and Fourier Transform?

A Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic functions. A Fourier series decomposes a function into a series of sinusoidal functions, while a Fourier transform decomposes a function into a continuous spectrum of frequencies.

What are some practical applications of Fourier Series?

Fourier series has many practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics. Some examples include analyzing sound waves, image compression, and solving partial differential equations.