How Do You Calculate the Index of Refraction in This Microscopy Scenario?

• Thread starter zhen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optic
In summary, the index of refraction of the plastic can be determined by using the equation N=(sinA/sinP)=(5/3)*(cosA/cosP). The horizontal distance from the center of the plastic to where the ray exits can be calculated using r = h_green * tan(theta_1) = 1 cm * tan(theta_2). This equation holds true for all rays, as long as the small-angle approximation is used. This approximation states that sin(theta) = theta[radians] = tan(theta). By using this approximation, the ratio of sines becomes a ratio of heights, allowing for the calculation of the index of refraction.
zhen
the question is:
a mircroscope is focused on a black dot. when a 1.00-cm-thick piece of plastic is placed over the dot, the microscope objective has to be raised 0.40 cm to bring the dot back into focus. what is the index of refraction of the plastic...

I spent a lot of time on this question, but still can not solve it.
These are what i got so far:

N=(sinA/sinP)=(5/3)*(cosA/cosP)..

I really need some help for this question...

Attachments

• optic.JPG
    optic.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal distance along the top of the plastic,
from the center to the place the ray exits the plastic,
is r = h_green * tan(theta_1) = 1 cm * tan(theta_2).

This is supposed to be true for all rays (including rays closer to the center),
which can only be "true" in the small-angle-approximation
(sin(theta) = theta[radians] = tan(theta)).
In this approximation, your ratio of sines becomes a ratio of angles,
which becomes a ratio of tangents, which becomes a ratio of heights.

oh, yes,...the approximation..
thank you very much.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Index of Refraction in This Microscopy Scenario?

1. What is an optic question?

An optic question is a question related to optics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its properties.

2. How do I solve an optic question?

The best approach to solving an optic question is to first understand the basic concepts and principles of optics, such as reflection, refraction, and the properties of light. Then, carefully read and analyze the question to identify what information is given and what is being asked. Finally, use your knowledge and problem-solving skills to come up with the correct solution.

3. What are some common types of optic questions?

Some common types of optic questions include questions about the behavior of light when it passes through different media, questions about the formation of images by mirrors and lenses, and questions about the properties of different types of lenses and mirrors.

4. Can you give an example of an optic question?

Sure, here's an example: An object is placed 10 cm away from a convex lens with a focal length of 5 cm. What is the position and nature of the image formed by the lens?

5. How can I improve my skills in solving optic questions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving optic questions is to practice regularly. You can also read textbooks and study materials on optics, join study groups or online forums to discuss and solve problems with other students, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

Back