How Do You Calculate the Instantaneous Linear Speed of a T-Shaped Pendulum?

• Thread starter myko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assembly
In summary, the T-shaped assembly swings down in the vertical plane. The linear speed of the bottom point of the assembly as it passes through position B is 2mg(d/2).
myko
1. A T-shaped assembly is made of two identical uniform bars of length d and mass m each. One end of one of the bars is rigidly connected to the midpoint of the other. The assembly is pivoted at the connection point and held in position A. After it is released, the assembly swings down in the vertical plane. Neglect all resistive forces.

Find the instantaneous linear speed of the bottom point of the assembly as it passes through position B
2. I tryed to use energy equation to find the velocity, but moment of inertia is unknown
[itex]2mg(d/2)=1/2(2m)v_{cm}^2+1/2I_{cm}\omega^2[/itex] so I can't figure out how to continue

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
picture

The corresponding image for the situation

Attachments

• rod.png
    rod.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 876
The assembly is in the first position.
The length of each bar is L

Im guessing the assembly centre of mass is ( L / 4 ) above the pivot point.
( i considered each bar as a point mass at its individual centre of mass, then assumed the combined centre of mass at a point halfway inbetween )

The distance the combined centre of mass falls is ( L / 4 ) * 2
(call this distance h )
So, the potential energy lost = m * g * h

dean barry said:
The assembly is in the first position.
The length of each bar is L

Im guessing the assembly centre of mass is ( L / 4 ) above the pivot point.
( i considered each bar as a point mass at its individual centre of mass, then assumed the combined centre of mass at a point halfway inbetween )

The distance the combined centre of mass falls is ( L / 4 ) * 2
(call this distance h )
So, the potential energy lost = m * g * h

I agree, that height lost is h=L/2, but the potential energy is 2mgh, because of the combined mass. But this is what I have written in the equation of my question. This leads me nowhere. I have 1 equation 2 unknowns..

myko said:
1. A T-shaped assembly is made of two identical uniform bars of length and mass each.

That sentence seems incomplete. Have you missed out something?
You will certainly need the length of the bars to answer the question.
I would consider the KE of each bar separately. If each has mass m, length L, what are their moments of inertia about O?

haruspex said:
That sentence seems incomplete. Have you missed out something?
You will certainly need the length of the bars to answer the question.
I would consider the KE of each bar separately. If each has mass m, length L, what are their moments of inertia about O?
I added some letters that where missed, sry.
The momento of inertia of horizontal bar is [itex]I=md^2/12[/itex] and vertival bar [itex]I=md^2/3[/itex]
so combined kinethik energy at position B is:
[itex]K=((1/2)md^2/12+(1/2)md^2/3)\omega^2=2mg(d/2)[/itex]
is this correct?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Instantaneous Linear Speed of a T-Shaped Pendulum?

1. What is a T-shaped assembly swing down?

A T-shaped assembly swing down is a type of playground swing that features a crossbar in the shape of a "T" that allows for multiple riders to swing at once.

2. How is a T-shaped assembly swing down installed?

A T-shaped assembly swing down is typically installed by first securing the main support posts into the ground and then attaching the crossbar and swing seats using bolts and screws.

3. What materials are used in a T-shaped assembly swing down?

Most T-shaped assembly swing downs are made of durable materials such as steel or heavy-duty plastic for the frame and chain or rope for the swing seats.

4. What age range is suitable for a T-shaped assembly swing down?

T-shaped assembly swing downs are suitable for children of all ages, although it is recommended to supervise younger children while playing on the swing.

5. Are there any safety considerations for a T-shaped assembly swing down?

Yes, it is important to regularly check the swing for any damage or wear and tear, and to ensure that the swing is installed on a level surface. It is also recommended to use appropriate safety surfacing, such as mulch or rubber mats, around the swing to prevent injuries from falls.