How do you calculate the length of a board using torque?

• Thread starter confused111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board
In summary, a 7kg cat walks to the end of a 15 kg board that just lifts off of the left hand support when the cat is at the 1m position. The board has a total length of 2.9333..meters.
confused111

Homework Statement

A 7kg cat walks to the end of a 15 kg board resting on two saw horses as shown below.
When the cat is at the 1m position as shown, the board “just” lifts off of
the left hand support. How long is the board?

Homework Equations

T = D x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the torque on both sides has to be equal, but I have no idea how to approach this without knowing the length!

Attachments

• 1137aewn4.gif
    1137aewn4.gif
    20 KB · Views: 1,040
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm misreading the question but it does say that "A 7kg cat walks to the _end_ of a 15 kg board".

So you can calculate how far the centre of mass of the board is from the right hand horse (call it L).

Hello,

Sorry for grave-digging this thread, but I have the exact same problem as you. Perhaps you were also a NCDES Physics 12 student with the same workbook aha. I may have figured out the solution, for all the NCDES Physics 12 students googling this question aha. No where in our lessions were we shown how to do this with just T=Fd

Because the board is about to lift, there is now weight on the left hand side and that saw horse can be removed so there is just one pivot point.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cmms.html (m1gL1=m2gL2)

Plug in the values and solve for L2, then find the total distance.

CyberneticTitan said:
Hello,

Sorry for grave-digging this thread, but I have the exact same problem as you. Perhaps you were also a NCDES Physics 12 student with the same workbook aha. I may have figured out the solution, for all the NCDES Physics 12 students googling this question aha. No where in our lessions were we shown how to do this with just T=Fd

Because the board is about to lift, there is now weight on the left hand side and that saw horse can be removed so there is just one pivot point.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cmms.html (m1gL1=m2gL2)

Plug in the values and solve for L2, then find the total distance.
So what answer do you get?

haruspex said:
So what answer do you get?

Using m1gL1=m0gL2

(7kg)(9.8m/s2)(1m)=(15kg)(9.8m/s2)(L2)

Solve for L2 results in 0.4666...meters, which is the distance from the pivot to the center of gravity.

Add 1 meter to find the distance from the cat to the center of gravity, which is 1.4666...meters.

Double to find the total length of the board, which is 2.9333..meters before sigfigs.

This is right according to: http://bclearningnetwork.com/LOR/media/ph/learning_guides/PH12_2013/PH12_U2_notes.pdf (Page 19, answers in the back.)

Related to How do you calculate the length of a board using torque?

1. How long is a board?

A board's length can vary depending on the type and purpose of the board. Typically, a standard skateboard is around 31 inches long, while a snowboard can range from 140-170 cm in length.

2. What is the standard length of a surfboard?

The standard length of a surfboard can also vary, but a general rule of thumb is that the board should be around 6-12 inches taller than the rider's height. For example, a rider who is 5'6" would typically ride a surfboard that is 6'6" to 6'12" in length.

3. How do you measure the length of a board?

The length of a board is typically measured from the tip to the tail. For a rectangular board, this is a straight line measurement. For a curved board, such as a surfboard, the measurement is taken along the curve of the board.

4. Can the length of a board affect its performance?

Yes, the length of a board can greatly impact its performance. Longer boards tend to have more stability and speed, while shorter boards are more maneuverable and easier to turn. The length of a board should be chosen based on the rider's skill level and the type of activity they will be using the board for.

5. How long should a cutting board be?

The length of a cutting board can vary depending on personal preference, but a standard cutting board is typically around 12-18 inches long. It should also be wide enough to comfortably fit the food you will be cutting on it.