How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of Vector C in Vector Subtraction?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and angle of vector C, given the components of vectors A and B. The correct components for vector B are -7.0*sin(31) for the x-component and -7.0*cos(31) for the y-component. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude of vector C is 15.45 and the angle is unknown.
x31fighter

Homework Statement

C = B - A
A = 16 Units
A-theta = 42 degrees from the y-axis
Ai is pointing in second quadrant

B = 7 units
B-theta = 31 degrees from the x-axis
B is pointing in the third quadrant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am suppose to find the magnitude of C from the components given. When I attempted it, I did it using trigonometric. That got marked wrong. Just a random question, am I able to do it using cross-product or something like that?

Va-x = -16*sin(42)
va-y = 16*cos(42)

Vb-x = - 7.0*sin(31)
Vb-y = - 7.0cos(31)

Did Pythagorean theorem and combined the x and y and got the following result:
C =15.45

Physics news on Phys.org
C is also a vector, so you need to come up with an angle as well as the correct magnitude.

Va_x and Va_y are correct.
Vb_x and Vb_y are incorrect. 31 deg. is from the x, not the y, axis ...

Oops...

I fixed that. I am getting the correct answer now.

Vector subtraction has nothing to do with the cross product.

units
C-theta = 20.23 from the x-axis

I would like to clarify that vector subtraction can only be done by subtracting the components of one vector from the corresponding components of the other vector. The cross product is used for vector multiplication, not subtraction. Therefore, the approach used by the student is correct. However, it is important to note that the components of vector A should be positive, as it is pointing in the second quadrant. Using the given information, the magnitude of vector C can be calculated as follows:

C-x = B*cos(B-theta) - A*cos(A-theta)
C-y = B*sin(B-theta) - A*sin(A-theta)

C = √(C-x^2 + C-y^2)

Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

C-x = -7*cos(31) - 16*cos(42) = -13.78
C-y = -7*sin(31) - 16*sin(42) = -16.47

Therefore, C = √((-13.78)^2 + (-16.47)^2) = 21.02 units

Hence, the magnitude of vector C is 21.02 units. It is important to note that the direction of vector C can be found by calculating the angle C-theta from the x-axis using the following equation:

C-theta = tan^-1(C-y/C-x) = tan^-1(16.47/13.78) = 49.64 degrees

Since the x-component of C is negative, the angle C-theta will be in the third quadrant. Therefore, the final answer is:

C = 21.02 units
C-theta = 49.64 degrees from the x-axis, pointing in the third quadrant.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of Vector C in Vector Subtraction?

1. What is vector subtraction?

Vector subtraction is a mathematical operation that involves finding the difference between two vectors. It is used to determine the resultant vector when two or more vectors are combined.

2. How is vector subtraction performed?

To perform vector subtraction, you must first identify the initial and final positions of the vectors. Then, you can use the parallelogram law or the head-to-tail method to find the resultant vector. This involves adding the negative of one vector to the other.

3. What is the purpose of vector subtraction in physics?

In physics, vector subtraction is used to calculate the net force or displacement of an object when multiple forces or displacements are acting on it. It is also used to analyze motion and determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting velocity.

4. Can vector subtraction result in a negative value?

Yes, vector subtraction can result in a negative value. This indicates that the resultant vector is in the opposite direction of the initial vector. However, the magnitude of the resultant vector will always be positive.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector subtraction?

Vector subtraction is used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, and physics. Some examples of real-life applications include calculating the relative velocity of objects, determining the direction and magnitude of wind or ocean currents, and analyzing the forces acting on a structure.

Back