How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Beam in Static Equilibrium?

In summary, the problem involves a 1 m long uniform bar with a 0.29 kg mass hanging from the 22 cm mark, resulting in a balanced system. Using the equation τ=F*r, the mass of the bar can be found by setting up a balance of forces and solving for x, which represents the mass of the bar. However, the incorrect assumption that all the mass of the short end of the bar is located at 22 cm led to a wrong answer. By considering the concept of center of mass, it can be determined that the mass of the entire bar is concentrated at the center of mass, while the 0.29 kg mass is located at the end of the bar.
tbdm

Homework Statement

Suppose we take a 1 m long uniform bar and support it at the 22 cm mark. Hanging a 0.29 kg mass on the short end of the beam results in the system being in balance. Find the mass of the beam.

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]=F*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I set it up so that I have the mass of the bar on each end time the gravity for the force of the bar on each end, and add the force of the added mass to the short end, all multiplied by their distance from the point the system is balanced on.
(.22 m)(.29 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) +(.22x)(9.8 m/s^2)(.22 m) = (.78x)(9.8 m/s^2)(.78 m)
And solve for x. Gravity cancels out, and I get x is 0.113928571 kg or approximately 0.11 kg. However this is wrong. I’m not sure what I’m not doing correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
Is all the mass of the short end of the stick located .22 m from the support?

That was what I had wondered, I wasn't sure if I could treat it as a point mass, but I'm not sure how else to write it.

Have you studied the concept of center of mass (or center of gravity)?

I have, so the center of mass would be at .5 meters, or .28 meters from the balance point? And the other mass would be at .22 meters on the other side?

Yes, you may consider all the mass of the entire bar to be concentrated at the center of mass of the bar. The only other mass will be the 0.29 kg mass at the end of the bar.

Likes 1 person
That makes sense, thank you so much for your help

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Beam in Static Equilibrium?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting or rotating force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the net force and net torque on the object are both equal to zero.

3. How is torque related to static equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the sum of all the torques acting on it must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise torques must balance out the counterclockwise torques, resulting in a net torque of zero.

4. What factors affect torque?

The magnitude of torque is affected by the amount of force applied, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle at which the force is applied. The longer the lever arm (distance from the pivot point), the greater the torque will be.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, such as in machines, engines, and everyday objects like door handles and wrenches. It is also an important concept in sports, such as in throwing a ball or swinging a golf club, as well as in the human body for movements like lifting and bending.