How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Steel I-Beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the mass of a structural I-beam made of steel with dimensions of L=13.2cm, H=37.4cm, W=1.41cm. The solution involves converting the dimensions to meters and finding the volume of each rectangle in the cross section. However, there is an error in the calculation of the middle rectangle, as the height should be 0.374m instead of 37.4m. The correct solution is to multiply the area of each rectangle by the length of the beam and adding the resulting volumes together, which will give the same answer as multiplying the area of the cross section by the length.
mynameiscool

Homework Statement

a structural I-beam is made of steel. a view of its cross section and its dimensions are shown in the figure below. as seen in the figure, L=13.2cm, H=37.4cm, W=1.41cm. what is the mass of a section 1.25m long? the density of steel is 7.56x10^3kg/m^3

i attached a picture of the beam

Homework Equations

volume=LxHxW
m=dv

The Attempt at a Solution

1. i converted values to meters:
L=0.132m
H=0.374m
W=0.0141m

2.find the volume for the top and bottom rectangles ( they are both same measurements)
so... v=lxhxw
v=0.132mx0.0141mx1.25m
=2.3265x10^-3 m^3

since top and bottom rectangles are same so add
2.3265x10^-3 m^3+2.3265x10^-3 m^3= 4.653x10^-3 m^3

then found volume for middle rectangle
but first found its height 37.4-0.0141-0.0141=37.3718
v=lxwxh
37.3718mx0.0141mx1.25m=0.65m^3

3. m=dv so..
first add volumes= 4.653x10^-3m^3+0.65m^3=0.654
then 0.654m^3x7.56x10^3kg/m^3
=4949kg
and my answer is wrong ! :( please help ASAP i can't figure it out
take a look at my long solution and help me :)

Attachments

• beam.png
    beam.png
    4 KB · Views: 853
Physics news on Phys.org
mynameiscool said:
volume=LxHxW
Yes, but only for a rectangular block, and the lengths L, H, W must be mutually perpendicular.
2.find the volume for the top and bottom rectangles
A rectangle has area, not volume. Just because the distances are called L, H and W doesn't mean that they plug naturally into a formula you know that has variables with those names. Variable names are just names; it's what they stand for that's important.
Find the area of the cross-section.

haruspex said:
Yes, but only for a rectangular block, and the lengths L, H, W must be mutually perpendicular.

A rectangle has area, not volume. Just because the distances are called L, H and W doesn't mean that they plug naturally into a formula you know that has variables with those names. Variable names are just names; it's what they stand for that's important.
Find the area of the cross-section.

area of the cross section as in Lxw ? i did that and i still got the wrong answer too
can you please explain step by step ?

In your calculation of the middle rectangle, you have used H = 37.4 rather than H = 0.374. This is why your calculation is incorrect.

BTW, you do not necessarily have to find the area of the cross section unless you are specifically asked for it. Multiplying the area of each individual rectangle by the length of the beam and adding the resulting volumes together will give the same answer as multiplying the area of the cross section by the length.

Your solution is correct, however, the final step of multiplying by the density of steel should be 0.654m^3 x 7.56x10^3kg/m^3 = 4949.704kg. It seems like you may have made a calculation error in the final step. Also, make sure to use the correct units in your calculations (meters for length and meters^3 for volume). Other than that, your approach and calculations are correct.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Steel I-Beam?

What is an I-beam and how does it relate to physics?

An I-beam is a structural component commonly used in construction and engineering. It is shaped like the letter "I" and has a cross-section that consists of a central vertical web connected to two horizontal flanges. In physics, the I-beam is used to demonstrate concepts such as mass, torque, and center of mass.

What factors affect the mass of an I-beam?

The mass of an I-beam is affected by its length, width, and thickness. In general, the longer, wider, and thicker the I-beam is, the more mass it will have.

How is the mass of an I-beam calculated?

The mass of an I-beam can be calculated by multiplying its density (usually in kg/m^3) by its volume. The volume can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the I-beam by its length.

How does the mass of an I-beam affect its strength?

The mass of an I-beam is directly related to its strength. Generally, the more mass an I-beam has, the stronger it is. This is because a heavier I-beam can withstand greater forces and stresses without breaking.

Why is the center of mass important in determining the stability of an I-beam?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In an I-beam, the center of mass is typically located at the midpoint of the vertical web. The stability of an I-beam depends on its center of mass being located within its base of support. If the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the I-beam will be unstable and can tip over. Therefore, it is important to consider the center of mass when designing and constructing I-beams to ensure their stability.