How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Steel I-Beam?

In summary, the beam has a length of 6.44 meters, a width of 2.00 meters, and a height of 4.00 meters. The beam has a total cross sectional area of 112.4 square meters. The mass of the beam is .01124 metric tons.
CollegeStudent

Homework Statement

A steel I beam is 6.44 m long, 32.2 cm high and 14.0 cm wide. The top bottom and sides are all 2.00 cm thick. If the density of the steel is 7.56 x 10^3 kg/m^3, find the mass of the beam.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure which equations to use actually.

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I was thinking was

The 2 horizontal parts are 14.0cm * 2.00cm = 28 *2 = 56 cm²
And the 1 vertical part is (32.2cm-4cm) *2cm = 56.4 cm²

So that is 112.4 cm²

Converting this to m² would be .01124m²

After that I'm kind of lost, and I don't even know if THAT'S correct. The thing that's throwing me off is the fact they say there's a length, width, height, and a thickness. Whereas I was taught that thickness and height are the same thing. I don't know how to approach this.

Could someone explain what the difference between height and thickness here...and if I'm on the right track

Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF CollegeStudent!

The reason why there are four dimensions given instead of three is that an I-beam looks like this (like a capital letter I) in cross section):

Code:
              w
-------------------------   
                            t
--------        --------
        |      |
        |      |
        |   t  |  h
        |      |
        |      |
--------        --------
                            t
-------------------------

And "l" is the length of the beam, i.e the distance that this extends "out of your screen." Does that make sense?

EDIT: I attached a screen shot in case that ASCII diagram looks messed up in other browsers.

Attachments

• i_beam.png
    i_beam.png
    719 bytes · Views: 400
One thing that is ambiguous is whether h is the height from the bottom surface of the bottom horizontal section to the top surface of the top horizontal section (i.e. does it include the two thicknesses of those sections), or is it JUST the height of the vertical section, excluding the thicknesses of the horzontal parts. Whatever, just assume something, state explicitly what you assumed, and do the calculation.

Your calculation of the cross sectional area looks OK.

Finish the calculation and determine the mass of the beam.

for your time!

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the dimensions of the steel beam. In this case, it seems that the "height" refers to the vertical dimension of the beam, while the "thickness" refers to the horizontal dimension. So, in this case, the beam would have a rectangular cross-section with dimensions of 32.2 cm by 14.0 cm.

Next, I would use the formula for volume, V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. Plugging in the given values, we get:

V = (6.44 m)(0.322 m)(0.14 m) = 0.291 m^3

Then, I would use the formula for density, d = m/V, where m is the mass and V is the volume. Rearranging this formula to solve for m, we get:

m = dV = (7.56 x 10^3 kg/m^3)(0.291 m^3) = 2199.96 kg

Therefore, the mass of the steel beam is approximately 2199.96 kg.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Steel I-Beam?

What is the difference between mass and density?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while density is the measure of how much mass is packed into a given volume. In simpler terms, mass is the quantity of material present in an object, and density is how closely together the particles of that material are packed.

How do you calculate mass?

Mass is typically calculated by using a balance or scale to measure the weight of an object. The weight is then converted to mass using the formula mass = weight/acceleration due to gravity. Mass can also be calculated by using the formula density x volume, if the density and volume of the object are known.

What is the formula for density?

The formula for density is density = mass/volume. Density is often measured in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³).

How does temperature affect density?

Temperature can affect the density of a substance in two ways. First, as temperature increases, particles typically expand and take up more space, resulting in a decrease in density. Second, for most substances, the density decreases as the temperature increases because the particles move faster and spread out, resulting in a lower density.

Why is density an important property in science?

Density is an important property in science because it can be used to identify and classify substances, as each substance has a unique density. It is also a key factor in many practical applications, such as determining the buoyancy of an object, predicting the behavior of fluids, and understanding the structure and composition of various materials.