How Do You Calculate the Moment of a Force About an Edge Using Determinants?

• Thread starter ucflap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the moment of a force around an edge and the solution to the problem. The individual is self-teaching and is looking for an explanation of a form of solving that they have not seen before. They provide data and the answer, but are struggling to understand how to arrive at the answer using the given equation. The conversation includes a link to a picture for easier reference and a solution attempt that involves multiplying elements in a zig-zag pattern. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the negative sign in one of the calculations.
ucflap

Homework Statement

Hello guys, I have a physics class this session and I'm self-teaching myself most of the material. It's going not too bad so far but I have come across a form of solving I have not seen before and would like to understand how it works. I have the data and the answer, I just don't know how to get the answer from the equation. This is the last part of a problem I have to solve that deal with the moment of a force about an edge.

Homework Equations

For easier format, here is a picture:
http://unwantedcreations.com/img/physic_1.png
First line is λ of the edge
Second line are the coordinate of the point of application of force F
third line are the components x, y and z of the force F.

in case you don't get it at all, here is the problem and solution:
Problem
Solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I think I get where -25.363 come from, if you take 0.99228 * -1.8 * 14.2 it does make -25.363, but where does -10.5678 comes from? No idea.

Thank you for your time guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ucflap! :smile:
ucflap said:
Ok so I think I get where -25.363 come from, if you take 0.99228 * -1.8 * 14.2 it does make -25.363, but where does -10.5678 comes from? No idea.

it's 0.124035*6*14.2 …

to calculate a determinant, you multiply one element from each row and column, ie you zig-zag in every possible way

there are only two zig-zags that don't include a 0, and 0.124035*6*14.2 is one of them :wink:

(to see why it's minus, look up a book or wikipedia on determinants)

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of a Force About an Edge Using Determinants?

1. How do I approach solving a set?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the given question. Then, identify what information is already provided and what information you need to find. Next, consider what concepts or formulas are applicable to the problem. Finally, use logical reasoning and problem-solving skills to come up with a solution.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a set?

Some common mistakes include misreading the question, using incorrect formulas or concepts, and making calculation errors. It's important to double-check your work and carefully follow each step to avoid these errors.

3. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original question or by using a different method to solve the problem. Additionally, it's always a good idea to ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts or looking for similar examples to get a better understanding of the concept.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in solving sets?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is through practice. Try solving a variety of problems and use different methods and approaches to find a solution. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.