How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Compound Physical Pendulum?

In summary, The physical pendulum consists of a thin rod and a spherical bob, with a pivot at the top of the rod. The center of mass has been calculated to be 0.605 m. The moment of inertia for the combined object can be found using the formula I = Icm + Md^2, with the moment of inertia for the sphere being 2/5MR^2 and for the rod being 1/2MR^2. The net torque can be calculated using the formula T = Iα, and the angular frequency of small oscillations can be found using the equations s = Acos(wt + phi), v = -wAsin(wt + phi), and a = -w^2As
AdanSpirus
1. Homework Statement
Ok So here's my question.
The physical Pendulum consists of a thin rod of mass m = 100 g and length 80 cm, and a spherical bob of mass M = 500 g and radius R = 25 cm. There a pivot P at the top of the rod.
(Sorry, I don't have a picture >.<)
a) It asks for the center of mass(I already got it)

b) It asks for the moment of Inertia

c)Calculate Net Torque

d) Find Angular Freq. of small oscillations

e) At t= 0, the pendulum position is theta = (theta)max / 2, where (theta)max is the amplitude , and theta is increasing. When is the next instance where the particle will have a speed that is one third of its maximum?

2. Homework Equations
I = Icm + Md^2
Sphere = 2/5MR^2
Rod = 1/2MR^2

Center of Mass = (m*l + M(R+l)/(m+M)

s = Acos(wt + phi)
v = -wAsin(wt + phi)
a = -w^2Asin(wt+ phi)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have got the center of mass which results to be 0.605 m.
The only problem I have is that I am not sure about the moment of Inertia considering there are 2 objects and I am not exactly sure of how to set up the moment of inertia equation with the Sphere and the Rod. This is what is only bugging me atm, I probably can do the rest if I figure out the moment of inertia >.< But I might post back after if I don't get the rest of the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for your center of mass is not quite correct for the rod part. I don't know how you calculated 0.6 form that.
This result is obviously wrong. 0.6 is still in the rod. But the rod in total has only 100g whereas the sphere has 500g. So the center of mass should be somewhere >0.8.

The whole point of the first part was to replace the two objects (which are themselves extended objects) by one object. The center of mass. No for this object the formulat for the moment of inertia holds.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Compound Physical Pendulum?

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that is able to rotate freely around a fixed axis. It consists of a mass attached to a rigid rod or wire, and its motion is governed by the principles of rotational motion and gravity.

2. How is the period of a physical pendulum calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the location of the center of mass. Additionally, factors such as air resistance, friction, and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing can also affect its period.

4. How does a physical pendulum differ from a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a small mass attached to a string or rod, whereas a physical pendulum has a larger, rigid body. This means that the motion of a physical pendulum is more complex and can exhibit different behaviors, such as oscillations in multiple directions.

5. What are some real-life applications of physical pendulums?

Physical pendulums have many practical applications, such as in clock mechanisms, seismometers, and stabilization systems for ships and aircraft. They are also commonly used in physics experiments to study the principles of rotational motion and gravity.