How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Swinging Monkey Wrench?

In summary: When it reaches its lowest point, the KE is at a maximum. Use conservation of energy to find the angular velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia and angular velocity of a monkey wrench used as a physical pendulum. The formula for period is used to calculate the moment of inertia, and energy methods are used to find the angular velocity.
cb
I need hlep with this question...

A 1.8-kg monkey wrench is pivoted 0.250-m from its center of mass and allowed to swing as a physical pendulum. The period for small-angle osciallations is 0.940 s. a.) What is the moment of inertia of the wrench about an axis through the pivot? b.) If the wrench is initially displaced 0.400 rad from its equilibrium position, what is the angular speed of the wrench as it passes throught the equilibrium position?

I think it did this right, but hopefully someone can check my work.

[tex]d\sin(\theta) = 0.250 m[/tex]

[tex]\theta\rightarrow 0 \therefore d= 0.250m[/tex]

[tex]T = 2\pi\sqrt{I / mgd}[/tex]

[tex]I = -9.87 X 10^{-1}[/tex].

Now, I'm not sure how to start part b. I would use energy methods, but I'm not sure how the use it in this situation. Could someone help me with that part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cb said:
I think it did this right, but hopefully someone can check my work.

[tex]d\sin(\theta) = 0.250 m[/tex]

[tex]\theta\rightarrow 0 \therefore d= 0.250m[/tex]
I don't know what you are doing here. d in the formula below for period is not a displacement, but the distance from pivot to center of mass. Nonetheless, d = 0.25m, as given.

[tex]T = 2\pi\sqrt{I / mgd}[/tex]

[tex]I = -9.87 X 10^{-1}[/tex].
Does a negative rotational inertia make sense? And don't forget units.

Now, I'm not sure how to start part b. I would use energy methods, but I'm not sure how the use it in this situation. Could someone help me with that part.
Mechanical energy is conserved. As the pendulum swings down from its initial point, gravitational PE is transformed to rotational KE.

For part a, your solution is correct. To solve part b, we can use the conservation of energy principle. At the equilibrium position, the wrench has only potential energy, which is equal to its initial potential energy at the maximum displacement. So, we can write the equation:

PE = mgh = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2

Where m is the mass of the wrench, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the maximum displacement of the wrench, I is the moment of inertia and \omega is the angular speed.

Solving for \omega, we get:

\omega = \sqrt{\frac{2mgh}{I}}

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

\omega = \sqrt{\frac{2(1.8)(9.8)(0.250)(0.400)}{-9.87 X 10^{-1}}}

\omega = 0.934 rad/s

Therefore, the angular speed of the wrench as it passes through the equilibrium position is 0.934 rad/s.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Swinging Monkey Wrench?

What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that is able to swing back and forth around a fixed point under the influence of gravity.

What is the definition of inertia in relation to a physical pendulum?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. In the case of a physical pendulum, it refers to the resistance of the pendulum to change its angle or position when acted upon by external forces.

How is the inertia of a physical pendulum calculated?

The inertia of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula I = mgl2, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and l is the distance between the point of rotation and the center of mass of the pendulum.

How does the inertia of a physical pendulum affect its period of oscillation?

The inertia of a physical pendulum is directly proportional to its period of oscillation. This means that a pendulum with a larger inertia will have a longer period, or time it takes to complete one full swing.

How does the length of a physical pendulum affect its inertia and period?

The length of a physical pendulum affects both its inertia and period. As the length increases, the inertia also increases, resulting in a longer period of oscillation. This is because the longer the pendulum, the slower it swings due to the increased resistance to change its state of motion.