How Do You Calculate the Motion and Velocity of a Falling Object with Drag?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a mass being dropped from a point and experiencing acceleration due to gravity and drag. The main question is about writing the equation of motion and calculating the velocity as a function of time, as well as the limiting velocity at very large time. The conversation also discusses the importance of considering the direction of forces and the use of ODEs to solve the problem.
keelejody
i have a question but no mark scheme so i can't see where I am going wrong. a mass, m, is dropped with speed zero from point O at time t=0 after time t it has traveled x. the body is subject to acceleration due to gravity and drag -mkv.

(A) write the equation of motion:

ok so i know v=dx/dt

and I've said f=m(dv/dt)

so f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv? because theyre opposite

I can't think what else to write, since this is 5 marks... unless i need sort this in terms of ODE's where g and k are constants?

(B) calculate velocity as a function of time, and the limiting velocity at very large time.

so i need v(t)? from v=dx/dt and this is where i use ODE's and work out V.

again i can't see where the marks come from this is worth 8.

Physics news on Phys.org

keelejody said:
i have a question but no mark scheme so i can't see where I am going wrong. a mass, m, is dropped with speed zero from point O at time t=0 after time t it has traveled x. the body is subject to acceleration due to gravity and drag -mkv.

(A) write the equation of motion:

ok so i know v=dx/dt

and I've said f=m(dv/dt)

I can't think what else to write, since this is 5 marks... unless i need sort this in terms of ODE's where g and k are constants?

(B) calculate velocity as a function of time, and the limiting velocity at very large time.

so i need v(t)? from v=dx/dt and this is where i use ODE's and work out V.

again i can't see where the marks come from this is worth 8.

The accelerating force and the drag force are in opposite directions, so they should have opposite signs.

If you can write an expression for the total acceleration, you'll be away to the races.

keelejody said:

drag is opposite to velocity. velocity is in direction of g. Right. hence you cannot write m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv. also dv/dt is +ve, this means
m(dv/dt)= mg - mkv

(A) The equation of motion for this scenario can be written as:

m(d^2x/dt^2) = -mg - mkv

This equation takes into account the acceleration due to gravity (-mg) and the drag force (-mkv), where k is a constant and v is the velocity of the mass at any given time.

(B) To calculate the velocity as a function of time, we can rearrange the equation to solve for v:

(d^2x/dt^2) = (-mg - mkv)/m

Using the chain rule, we can rewrite this as:

(dv/dt)(dx/dt) = (-mg - mkv)/m

Substituting v=dx/dt, we get:

(dv/dt)v = (-mg - mkv)/m

This is a separable differential equation that can be solved by integrating both sides with respect to t:

∫(dv/dt)v dt = ∫(-mg - mkv)/m dt

Integrating the left side with respect to v and the right side with respect to t, we get:

(v^2)/2 = -gt - (kv^2)/2 + C

Where C is an integration constant. Solving for v, we get:

v = √(2C/m - 2gt)/(1 + k)

To find the limiting velocity at very large time, we can take the limit as t approaches infinity:

lim v = √(2C/m)/1 = √(2C/m)

Since C is an integration constant, we can write it as C = v0^2, where v0 is the initial velocity (which is zero in this scenario). Therefore, the limiting velocity at very large time is:

v_lim = √(2v0^2/m) = √(2mg/k)

This means that as time goes on, the mass will approach a constant velocity of √(2mg/k).

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Motion and Velocity of a Falling Object with Drag?

What is an equation of motion?

An equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration. It is used to describe the motion of an object over a period of time.

What is the most common form of the equation of motion?

The most common form of the equation of motion is the linear motion equation, which is given by x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

What are the units of the variables in the equation of motion?

The units of the variables in the equation of motion depend on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the units are meters for position, meters per second for velocity, meters per second squared for acceleration, and seconds for time.

What are some real-life applications of the equation of motion?

The equation of motion is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be applied to study the motion of objects on Earth, such as cars and projectiles, as well as the motion of celestial bodies in space.

How is the equation of motion derived?

The equation of motion is derived from the basic principles of motion, including Newton's laws of motion and the concept of constant acceleration. It can also be derived using calculus, particularly the principles of differentiation and integration.

Back