How Do You Calculate the Muzzle Velocity Using Conservation of Momentum?

• Thread starter TheLegace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
You'll have an equation for the masses only.The Attempt at a SolutionRight now I have a feeling that I should be isolating for m2 or something so I can cancel it out when I sub into another equation.In summary, Two titanium spheres with equal and opposite initial velocities collide elastically. After the collision, one sphere of mass 300 g remains at rest. Using the conservation of momentum and energy equations, the mass of the other sphere can be solved for. Combining the two equations and cancelling out the velocities, we are left with an equation for the masses only.
TheLegace

Homework Statement

The muzzle velocity of a gun found at a crime scene is tested by firing the 100 g bullet
into a block of mass 9.9 kg. The block is initially at rest on a frictional surface,
coefficient of 0.1. The bullet sticks into the block and the combination slides a total
distance of 4.5 metres along the surface. Calculate the muzzle velocity of the gun.

Homework Equations

This collision is inelastic.
Fy = 0 = Fn = Fg = mg(Force in y)
Ff = uFn = (.1)(9.9kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 9.703N (Friction Force)
Fx = ma = (-Ff) + (Fa)

vx = dx/t

mBvB + mLvL = v'(mB + mL) (B - bullet, L - block)
mBvB = v'(mB + mL) (vL = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the frictional force, if I could find a way to figure out the v' in the momentum equation, I could figure everything out. Now I know the displacement, if there was some way I could find the time, or even acceleration. I think I might have ideas on how to taclke the problems, but I can't get too far, I am still going to try, if anyone could help that would very well appreciated. Thank You.

I am missing a piece of the puzzle to finish the question.

Homework Statement

Two titanium spheres approach each other head-on with the same speed and collide
elastically. After the collision, one of the spheres, whose mass is 300 g, remains at rest.
What is the mass of the other sphere?

Homework Equations

Momentum Conserved

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' (v2' = 0, v1 = v2, m1 = .3kg)
v(m1+m2) = m2v2'

m1v1^2 + m2v^2 = m2v2'^2(should I factor?)
v^2(m1 + m2) = m2v2'^2

Right now I have a feeling that I should be isolating for m2 or something so I can cancel it out when I sub into another equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheLegace said:

Homework Statement

The muzzle velocity of a gun found at a crime scene is tested by firing the 100 g bullet
into a block of mass 9.9 kg. The block is initially at rest on a frictional surface,
coefficient of 0.1. The bullet sticks into the block and the combination slides a total
distance of 4.5 metres along the surface. Calculate the muzzle velocity of the gun.

Homework Equations

This collision is inelastic.
Fy = 0 = Fn = Fg = mg(Force in y)
Ff = uFn = (.1)(9.9kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 9.703N (Friction Force)
Fx = ma = (-Ff) + (Fa)

vx = dx/t

mBvB + mLvL = v'(mB + mL) (B - bullet, L - block)
mBvB = v'(mB + mL) (vL = 0)

I know the frictional force, if I could find a way to figure out the v' in the momentum equation, I could figure everything out. Now I know the displacement, if there was some way I could find the time, or even acceleration. I think I might have ideas on how to taclke the problems, but I can't get too far, I am still going to try, if anyone could help that would very well appreciated. Thank You.

I am missing a piece of the puzzle to finish the question.
What's the work done by friction? How does that relate to the post-collision speed?

Doc Al said:
What's the work done by friction? How does that relate to the post-collision speed?

The work done by friction is opposite to that of the applied force. Since the friction is overcome, then work done will be opposite force of friction * the displacement correct.

W = F*d = 9.702N * 4.5m = 1/2mv^2

I think that's how I can figure out the velocity post collison.

Heres what I work out:

v = sqrt(2*Fd/mT) = 8.73m/s... So I get a post collision velocity of the combination of masses of 8.73m/s.

Solving for v1 = v'(mB+mL) / mB = 8.73m/s(10kg) / .1kg = 837.2m/s...for a bullet his answer sounds about right. So thank you very much.

Just one more to go.

TheLegace said:
The work done by friction is opposite to that of the applied force. Since the friction is overcome, then work done will be opposite force of friction * the displacement correct.

W = F*d = 9.702N * 4.5m = 1/2mv^2

I think that's how I can figure out the velocity post collison.

Heres what I work out:

v = sqrt(2*Fd/mT) = 8.73m/s... So I get a post collision velocity of the combination of masses of 8.73m/s.
Be sure when you calculate the friction force and the kinetic energy that you use the mass of the entire "bullet + block". Otherwise, looks good.

TheLegace said:

Homework Statement

Two titanium spheres approach each other head-on with the same speed and collide
elastically. After the collision, one of the spheres, whose mass is 300 g, remains at rest.
What is the mass of the other sphere?

Homework Equations

Momentum Conserved

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' (v2' = 0, v1 = v2, m1 = .3kg)
v(m1+m2) = m2v2'
Careful. While the initial speeds are the same, they move in opposite directions.

m1v1^2 + m2v^2 = m2v2'^2(should I factor?)
v^2(m1 + m2) = m2v2'^2
Good. Combine this with the momentum equation (after you correct it) and the speeds will cancel out.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Muzzle Velocity Using Conservation of Momentum?

1. What is the concept of momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How does momentum relate to the motion of a bullet on a block?

Momentum is important in understanding the motion of a bullet on a block because it helps us understand how the bullet's mass and velocity affect its movement and the impact it has on the block.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for calculating momentum is momentum = mass x velocity, or p = mv. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg m/s).

4. How does the mass and velocity of the bullet affect its momentum?

The mass and velocity of the bullet have a direct impact on its momentum. The greater the mass and/or velocity, the greater the momentum of the bullet and the more force it will have when it hits the block.

5. Can momentum be conserved in the system of a bullet on a block?

Yes, momentum is always conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum before and after an event remains the same. In the case of a bullet on a block, the total momentum of the bullet and block will be the same before and after the bullet collides with the block.