How Do You Calculate the Oscillation Period and Energy Gain in an LC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses an oscillating LC circuit with a current amplitude of 7.20 mA, a potential amplitude of 250 mV, and a capacitance of 240 nF. The question is asked about the period of oscillation and the maximum rate at which the inductor gains energy. The equations for energy stored in an inductor and capacitor are given and used to determine the values for Q and maximum energy gain. The correct value for Q is found to be 6e(-8) C, and the maximum energy gain is calculated to be 0.9 mW.
Oijl

Homework Statement

An oscillating LC circuit has a current amplitude of 7.20 mA, a potential amplitude of 250 mV, and a capacitance of 240 nF.

(a) What is the period of oscillation?

(e) What is the maximum rate at which the inductor gains energy?

Homework Equations

Possibly: Energy stored in an inductor = 1/2 * L * I^2
i = -wQsin(wt+ø)

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy per unit of time is Watts.

If I find the equation for energy stored in an inductor, I can differenceate that with respect to time and find its maximum value.

I thought that this would be:
dE/dt = P = -L(w^3)(Q^2)sin(wt)cos(wt)

And isn't the maximum value for this just

(1/2)L(w^3)(Q^2) ?

And isn't that just

0.9 mW ?

I've done this problem wrong several times so far, so is this one right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
U = ((Q^2)/2C) cos(^2)(wt+ø) is the equation for the energy contained in the capacitor,
not for the potential across it.

How are you determining Q? I get Q = VC = .25 *2.4e(-7) = 6e(-8) C.

[tex]Q = VC = \int_0^{\pi/2} dQ = \int_0^{\pi/2} idt = \int_0^{\pi/2} i_{max}\sin{\omega t}dt [/tex]

so:

[tex]Q = VC = i_{max}/\omega[/tex]

AM

Oh, I see. I misunderstood the equation for U I had written, and therefore got a bad Q. Thanks to both.

But now I have another question for this problem, and I've edited the first post for it.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Oscillation Period and Energy Gain in an LC Circuit?

What is an RC circuit oscillation?

An RC circuit oscillation is a type of electrical oscillation that occurs in a circuit containing a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is characterized by the periodic charge and discharge of the capacitor, resulting in a continuous oscillation of the voltage and current in the circuit.

How does an RC circuit oscillation work?

An RC circuit oscillation works by storing energy in the capacitor when it is charged and releasing it when it is discharged. This cycle repeats continuously, causing the voltage and current in the circuit to oscillate back and forth.

What factors affect the frequency of an RC circuit oscillation?

The frequency of an RC circuit oscillation is affected by the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit, as well as the voltage applied to the circuit. The smaller the values of R and C, or the higher the voltage, the higher the frequency of the oscillation.

What is the relationship between the time constant of an RC circuit and the frequency of its oscillation?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C). The frequency (f) of the oscillation is inversely proportional to the time constant, meaning that as the time constant increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

How is an RC circuit oscillation used in practical applications?

An RC circuit oscillation is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers to generate and maintain a stable clock signal. It is also used in communication systems, such as radio transmitters and receivers, to modulate and demodulate signals.