How Do You Calculate the Period of an Electromagnetic Wave?

In summary, the period of a wave is the time it takes for one full cycle or oscillation of the wave to occur and is measured in seconds (s). It is inversely related to the frequency of the wave and can be measured by timing the number of oscillations in a given time interval. The period can be affected by the medium, amplitude, and wavelength of the wave, and can be changed by altering its frequency through adjusting the source or medium.
sonrie
What is the period T of the wave ?

If i am given:
Maximum electric field of 2450 V/m
Wavelength of 547 nm

I found:
Angular Wave # 1.15*10^7
Angular Frequency 3.45*10^15
Velocity of Electromagnetic Wave 3*10^8 m/s
B max of 8.17*10^-6 T
Intensity of 7960 W/m^2

I tried to solve for T by first finding the frequency which is W/2*pi, or 3.45*10^15/2*3.14 = 5.49*10^14 so then i put in T= 1/F final answer was 1.82*10^-15 which was incorrect! Please Help

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i got it.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the units used for the given values. The maximum electric field of 2450 V/m is in units of volts per meter, while the wavelength of 547 nm is in units of nanometers. In order to calculate the period T of the wave, we need to first convert the wavelength into meters, which would be 547 nm * (1 m / 10^9 nm) = 5.47*10^-7 m.

Next, we can use the formula for the speed of a wave, v = fλ, where v is the velocity, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. We already have the wavelength, so we need to solve for the frequency. Rearranging the formula, we get f = v/λ. Plugging in the given values, we get f = (3*10^8 m/s) / (5.47*10^-7 m) = 5.49*10^14 Hz.

Now, we can use the formula T = 1/f to find the period. Plugging in the frequency we just calculated, we get T = 1 / (5.49*10^14 Hz) = 1.82*10^-15 seconds. This matches the answer you calculated, so it seems like you were on the right track. However, it's important to double check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. In this case, the units for frequency should be in Hz, not radians per second, so make sure to convert accordingly.

Overall, the period of the wave in this scenario is 1.82*10^-15 seconds. Keep in mind that this value may change depending on the given electric field and wavelength, as the period is affected by both of these factors.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Period of an Electromagnetic Wave?

1. What is the period of a wave?

The period of a wave is the time it takes for one full cycle or oscillation of the wave to occur. It is measured in seconds (s) and is denoted by the symbol T.

2. How is the period of a wave related to its frequency?

The period and frequency of a wave are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. They are also related by the equation T = 1/f, where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

3. How can the period of a wave be measured?

The period of a wave can be measured by using a stopwatch to time the number of oscillations that occur in a given time interval. The period can then be calculated by dividing the total time by the number of oscillations.

4. What factors can affect the period of a wave?

The period of a wave can be affected by the medium through which it travels, the amplitude (height) of the wave, and the wavelength (distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs). For example, waves travel faster in denser mediums, resulting in a shorter period.

5. Can the period of a wave be changed?

Yes, the period of a wave can be changed by altering its frequency. This can be done by changing the source of the wave, such as increasing or decreasing the frequency of a sound wave by adjusting the pitch of a musical instrument. The medium through which the wave travels can also affect its period.

Back