How Do You Calculate the Probability of Getting the Flu?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the probability of Scott and Kevin getting the flu, given that Scott received the flu vaccine and Kevin did not. Using the multiplication rule of probability, the probability of Scott getting the flu is 0.6 and the probability of Kevin getting the flu is 0.27. The probability of both of them getting the flu is 0.162. The probability that at least one of them gets the flu is 0.168 and the probability that Kevin gets the flu is 0.6.
rad0786
Hello, I was hoping somebody can guide me with this problem, or perhaps help walk me through it. Its for a stats (probability theory) class.

The question reads:

-- Suppose that the probability of exposure to the flu virus during flu season is 0.3. People can get a flu vaccine which prevents the vaccinated person getting the flu, if exposed, in 80% of cases. People who are not vaccinated get the flu 90% of the time if they are exposed to the virus. Suppose that two friends, Scott and Kevin spend flue season in different places and are not in physical contact with the same people. Scott received the flu vaccine but Kevin did not.

a) what is the probability that at least one of these two get the flu?
b) if at least one of the did get the flu, what is the probability it was kevin.

---

Yes, this problem is very tricky.

What I initally tired to do was figure out the probability that kevin and scott got the flu, but that didn't work.

I thought of finding A u B where A is the probability that scott go the flue and B the probability that kevin got it. A u B is the probability that at least one of them gets it.

Can somebody please help me with this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
rad0786 said:
Hello, I was hoping somebody can guide me with this problem, or perhaps help walk me through it. Its for a stats (probability theory) class.

The question reads:

-- Suppose that the probability of exposure to the flu virus during flu season is 0.3. People can get a flu vaccine which prevents the vaccinated person getting the flu, if exposed, in 80% of cases. People who are not vaccinated get the flu 90% of the time if they are exposed to the virus. Suppose that two friends, Scott and Kevin spend flue season in different places and are not in physical contact with the same people. Scott received the flu vaccine but Kevin did not.

a) what is the probability that at least one of these two get the flu?
b) if at least one of the did get the flu, what is the probability it was kevin.

---

Yes, this problem is very tricky.

What I initally tired to do was figure out the probability that kevin and scott got the flu, but that didn't work
I thought of finding A u B where A is the probability that scott go the flue and B the probability that kevin got it. A u B is the probability that at least one of them gets it

Can somebody please help me with this.

Thanks
1) What is the probability that Scott is exposed to the flue? What is the probability that he will get the flue IF he is exposed? Prob(A)= Prob(A given B)*Prob(B).

2) Now answer the same questions for Kevin.

Since, presumably, the probabilities for Keven and Scott are independent (if they "hang around" together that may not be true but then there is no way to do this problem!) the probability they will both get the flu is the probabilities you found in (1) and (2) multiplied together.

The probability of S or K or both get the flue is the probability S gets the flue + probability K gets the flue- probability both get the flue.

so let me try 1. What you are saying is that you have to use the multiplication rule of probability...

S - the event that scott gets the flu.
K - the even that kevin gets the flu.
B - the event that scott/kevin is exposed to the flu.

P(S) = P(S given B) * P(B)
= (0.2)(0.3)
= 0.6

P(K) = P(K given B) * P(B)
= (0.9)(0.3)
= 0.27

The probability that they both get it, that's P(SK) = (0.27)(0.6) = 0.162

1) if at least one of them gets it, that's (S u K) = P(S) + P(K) - P(SK) = 0.168

2) probability that kevin gets the flu is what i stated above, 0.6

Does this sound right?

Thanks again :)

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Probability of Getting the Flu?

What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement and analysis of uncertainty and randomness. It provides a framework for understanding and predicting the likelihood of events occurring.

What are the key concepts in probability theory?

The key concepts in probability theory include outcomes, events, sample space, probability, and random variables. Outcomes are the possible results of an experiment, events are subsets of outcomes, sample space is the set of all possible outcomes, probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, and random variables are variables that can take on different values depending on the outcome of an experiment.

What are the different types of probability?

There are three types of probability: classical, empirical, and subjective. Classical probability is based on the assumption of equally likely outcomes, empirical probability is based on observed data, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(A) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of possible outcomes. The resulting number is typically expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What are the applications of probability theory?

Probability theory has numerous applications in fields such as statistics, economics, finance, engineering, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze real-world situations involving uncertainty, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and decision making.

Back