How Do You Calculate the Q Value of a Driven Harmonic Oscillator at Resonance?

In summary, for a driven harmonic oscillator with an amplitude of 21.0 F0/k at a resonant frequency of 390Hz, the Q value of the system is 24.57/b.
fantexihong

Homework Statement

The amplitude of a driven harmonic oscillator reaches a value of 21.0 F0/k at a resonant frequency of 390Hz . What is the Q value of this system?

Homework Equations

w0=2*pi*f0=(k/m)^(1/2)
Q=(mvo)/b
A = (Fo/m)/ (sqrt( (wo^2-w^2)^2+(b^2*w^2)/m^2) )

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did k=mw^2, 21F0/K=21F0/mw^2. Because w0=w, so the first term of the amplitude equation is 0, so I got A=F0/mbw, then I substitute Q in, I got A=QFo/mw^2. So 21F0/mw^2=QF0/mw^2. Q=21. But this is not the answer, could anybody help me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I think you may have made a mistake in your calculation. Let's go through it step by step.

First, we know that the amplitude of a driven harmonic oscillator is given by:

A = (F0/m) / sqrt((w0^2 - w^2)^2 + (b^2*w^2)/m^2)

We are given that the amplitude reaches a value of 21F0/k at a resonant frequency of 390Hz. This means that at w = w0 (resonant frequency), the amplitude is equal to 21F0/k.

Substituting this into the equation, we get:

21F0/k = (F0/m) / sqrt((w0^2 - w0^2)^2 + (b^2*w0^2)/m^2) = F0/m

Simplifying, we get:

21k = m

Next, we know that w0 = 2*pi*f0 = sqrt(k/m). Substituting this into the equation above, we get:

21k = m = (2*pi*f0)^2 / k

Solving for f0, we get:

f0 = sqrt(21k^2 / (4*pi^2*k)) = sqrt(21 / (4*pi^2)) = 0.369Hz

Finally, we can calculate the Q value using the equation Q = m*w0/b. Substituting in the values we know, we get:

Q = m*w0/b = (21k) * (2*pi*f0) / b = (21*2*pi*0.369Hz) / b = 24.57 / b

So the Q value of this system is 24.57 / b. I hope this helps clarify the process for you! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Q Value of a Driven Harmonic Oscillator at Resonance?

1. What is the Q value of a system?

The Q value of a system is a measure of the energy released or absorbed during any physical or chemical process within the system. It is also known as the reaction heat or heat of reaction.

2. How is the Q value of a system calculated?

The Q value of a system is calculated by subtracting the total energy of the reactants from the total energy of the products. This can be represented by the equation Q = ∑Eproducts - ∑Ereactants, where E represents the energy of each individual component.

3. What does a positive Q value indicate?

A positive Q value indicates that the system has released energy during the process, resulting in an exothermic reaction. This means that the products have a lower energy state than the reactants.

4. What does a negative Q value indicate?

A negative Q value indicates that the system has absorbed energy during the process, resulting in an endothermic reaction. This means that the products have a higher energy state than the reactants.

5. How is the Q value of a system important in chemical reactions?

The Q value of a system is important in chemical reactions because it determines whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic. It also helps in predicting the direction of a reaction and the amount of energy that will be released or absorbed.