How Do You Calculate the Radius of a Cylinder from Its Label Area and Height?

• Thread starter neuro.akn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary: So you can't subtract 14(pi) from 4(pi)x and get -10x; you'd get (4x-14)(pi) or (4x-14)(pi)x, etc.Hopefully this will give you some idea of what you're doing wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the radius of a cylindrical can based on the given equation for its area. This involves equating the area of the label to the area of the rectangle formed by unrolling the label and using the equation for the circumference of a circle. The conversation also discusses different methods for solving for the radius, such as long division and factoring.
neuro.akn

Homework Statement

The area of a label on a cylindrical can is defined by

A = 16(pi)x^2 - 68(pi)x + 42(pi). If the height of the can is defined as

h = 2x - 7, determine the radius of the can.

*Note: the (pi) represents a pi symbol; it would not work on my computer*

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's imagine taking the label off of the can and unrolling it.

Then we should end up with a rectangle whose area = L*W.

But the width= height of the label= 2x-7

and the length= the circumference= 2 (pi) r.

Make sense now?

Thank you! This is starting to make sense now, but what would I then need to do with the equation given for the area of the can?

I'm not sure how I would solve for the radius, even though what you said makes sense.

If we set the two areas equal to each other:

(2x-7) * 2(pi)r = 16(pi)x^2 - 68(pi)x + 42(pi)

Solving for r leads would mean that we have to divide both sides by (2x-7) * 2(pi).

The long division you can try yourself but that will leave you with the radius on the RHS.

neuro.akn said:
I'm not sure how I would solve for the radius, even though what you said makes sense.
You have two expressions for the area, one given involving only x, and now another involving r and x. Equate them.
The answer will be in the form r = some function of x. Don't expect to get a number for r.

Here is how I am solving:

(2x-7)*2(pi)r = 16(pi)x^2 - 68(pi)x + 42(pi)

I divide each side by (2x-7)*2(pi) but this expression (2x-7)*2(pi) simplifies into -10x.

So I will proceed to long divide 16(pi)x^2 - 68(pi)x + 42(pi) by -10x ?

neuro.akn said:
Here is how I am solving:

(2x-7)*2(pi)r = 16(pi)x^2 - 68(pi)x + 42(pi)
Yes
this expression (2x-7)*2(pi) simplifies into -10x.
it does?! How?
So I will proceed to long divide 16(pi)x^2 - 68(pi)x + 42(pi) by -10x ?
No, long divide by (2x-7)*2(pi).

When you multiply (2x-7)*2(pi), you get -10x.

Consider:
(2x-7)*2(pi)
= 4(pi)x - 14(pi)
= -10x

Try it one term at a time. Pi obviously divides out of both sides, etc.

After a couple of steps, one side of the equation is going to be a polynomial that you have to factor.

Long division works.

So does FOIL if you have reason to believe the problem probably isn't particularly difficult and that one of the terms of the polynomial will probably be equal to your height. There's only so many possibilities that you can plug into the other term just using a trial and error method. (In fact, it's not a particularly difficult polynomial to factor even if you didn't already know one of the terms.)

neuro.akn said:
When you multiply (2x-7)*2(pi), you get -10x.

Consider:
(2x-7)*2(pi)
= 4(pi)x - 14(pi)
= -10x

No offense, but this is really, really wrong and I take back my statement that you'll wind up with a polynomial that's easy to factor.

You can't subract 14(pi) from 4x(pi) and get -10x for a couple of reasons.

If your equation was 4(pi) - 14(pi), your answer would be -10(pi); not -10. Subtraction doesn't cancel out pi.

You can't subtract 14 from 4x and get -10x unless x happens to be 1 or 0 and even then, it would only be coincidence that your answer was correct because you performed an illegal operation.

In fact, if you're at all in doubt that this doesn't work, just let x=2 and do the subtraction you just did. (Whew! Right after I posted this, I looked at the equation and thought, "NO WAY!" Fortunately, if you let x=2, you get -18.85; not -20.)

You could subtract 14x from 4x or you could subtract 14 from 4, or you could subtract 14x^2 from 4x^2, etc.

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Radius of a Cylinder from Its Label Area and Height?

1. How do you determine the radius of an object?

The radius of an object is the distance from the center of the object to its outer edge. To determine the radius, you can measure this distance using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What is the formula for calculating radius?

The formula for calculating the radius of a circle is r = d/2, where r is the radius and d is the diameter of the circle. For other shapes, such as spheres or cylinders, the formula may vary.

3. Can you determine the radius of an irregularly shaped object?

Yes, the radius of an irregularly shaped object can still be determined by finding the distance from the center of the object to its outer edge. This can be done by using a ruler or measuring tape.

4. How do you measure the diameter of an object to determine its radius?

To measure the diameter of an object, you can simply measure the distance across the object through its center. Once you have the diameter, you can use the formula r = d/2 to calculate the radius.

5. What is the importance of determining the radius of an object?

Determining the radius of an object is important in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is a key measurement in understanding the size and shape of objects and can also be used in calculations for other properties such as volume and surface area.