How Do You Calculate the Rate of Water Rise in a Varying Depth Pool?

In summary, the pool is half-full at the shallow end and three-quarters full at the deep end. The water level is rising at a rate of 1/4 cubic feet per minute.
Alethia
So I'm doing my homework and I get stuck (again) on this problem:
A swimming pool is 12 meters long, 6 meters wide, 1 meter deep at the shallow end, and 3 meters deep at the deep end. Water is being pumped into the pool at 1/4 cubic feet per minute, and there is 1 meter of water at the deep end.

a) What percent of the pool is filled?
b) At what rate is the water level rising?
Okay what I first did was gather all my given information. That includes all the given dimensions of the pool and dv/dt to be the 1/4 cubic feet per minute. I just need guidance through this problem or where to start... so if anybody is willing to explain to me where to begin... For instance, on part a, do I need another equation for this or is that part of b? ACtually, I don't know what I'm talking about... HELP! :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, simply calculate the volume of the pool and calculate the volume of water in the pool. Then get the percentage. (Drawing a picture may help)

For part b, I would write down the function which gives the height of the water level as a function of the volume of water in the pool. Then differentiate that function.

Alethia said:
So I'm doing my homework and I get stuck (again) on this problem:Okay what I first did was gather all my given information. That includes all the given dimensions of the pool and dv/dt to be the 1/4 cubic feet per minute. I just need guidance through this problem or where to start... so if anybody is willing to explain to me where to begin... For instance, on part a, do I need another equation for this or is that part of b? ACtually, I don't know what I'm talking about... HELP! :-p

once you've derived a formula for the volume of the empty space of the pool, i would try to get it into one variable, height. you may need to look at two separate volumes though, the rectangle produced and the triangular shape resulting from the gradiant. from that point you can differentiate with respect to time, since you know the rate the volume is increasing you should be able to figure out the rate that height is increasing. i would suggest drawing out a diagram and digging to remember some geometry.

the first question doesn't make sense to me -- at what point in time is it referring to? if it means initially, i would try looking at the bottom of the pool and calculate the area that's already full. it says that there's 1 meter of water in the deep end.

edit: volume, not area

Related to How Do You Calculate the Rate of Water Rise in a Varying Depth Pool?

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. It is often used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change, such as related rates problems.

2. How is differentiation related to related rates?

Differentiation is the key concept in solving related rates problems. By finding the derivative, or rate of change, of the given variables, we can determine how they are related and solve for the unknown rate.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the sides of a triangle are changing, the rate at which a cone is filling with water, or the rate at which the distance between two moving objects is changing.

4. What are the steps to solving a related rates problem?

The first step is to identify the variables involved and determine which ones are changing with respect to time. Then, write an equation that relates these variables and their rates of change. Next, take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time. Finally, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown rate.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all given and unknown values, and being careful with units of measurement. It can also be helpful to write down all the given information and known equations before attempting to solve the problem.